Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown Fuse?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iceblinko, Aug 30, 2003.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey everyone! i have a question regarding a possible blown fuse. i was playing at practice the other day, and out of nowhere, my amp just stopped working. the lights were still on and everything, but there was no sound coming out of it. no hiss or anything. now i was wondering, do you think it's a blown fuse problem? the amp is REALLY old and i doubt the fuses were ever changed by my uncle (who gave the amp to me). i opened it up and saw that there were two fuses in there... now i was wondering how i can tell if they're blown or not. ANY help would be appreciated!. thanks.
    -tom

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most likely if the fuse was blown, all power to the amp would be off, including the lights.

3. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    thanks man. it's probably the speakers then. would it be possible for both 15" speakers to go out at the same time?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't assume its the speakers. Can't hurt to TRY a different speaker cab first, but if a different cab doesn't work, it sounds like a problem with the output transformer in your head.

5. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    really? how would you go about fixing that? or is that beyond a 'home fixing'?

-tom

6. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    really? how would you go about fixing that? or is that beyond a 'home fixing'?

-tom