1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blown goliath II...should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Aug 25, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I found a guy on Craig's list that was selling a Goliath II that he referred to as "blown"
    His SM900 fried and now the cabinet sounds like a transistor radio. He wanted very little money for it. Should I go for it and try to fix it or stay away from it? what could have happened?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well, if the amp put out a whole lot of direct current, it could have fried the PAS woofers.

If it's not a lot of money, buy it and have the speakers reconed.

I once bought a very clean Goliath II from a store for $200 because it sounded like two of the woofers were blown. Turned out that the screw that secured the wiring terminals to the frame was loose on more than one woofer. PAS' questionable design relies on that screw to attach the terminal to the frame -and- maintain the electrical connection from terminal to voice coil lead. The intermittent connection caused the woofers to sound blown.

Simply tightening the screws put the cabinet back to 100% functionality!

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If the horn is the only thing functioning, those 4 speakers might possibly still be alright.
    Take a look at this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390608

I'm pretty sure your G-II model has a diferent style L-pad from that thread, but it could possibly have the same type of unplugged wire issue somewhere inside (or maybe a defective L-pad) thats only allowing the horn to function.

4. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk

i saw this on CL, too. already got a II so i'm good. i was thinking same thing, though. def worth a looksee.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Actually, I think the high end part of the crossover (the two yellow caps, the coil and the L-pad) will be the same. The loose wire went to a big capacitor hiding in the 10's sub enclosure to block the very low end.

The Goliath II box is a good, solid cabinet (well-braced 5/8 in. plywood) tuned in the low 30s (IIRC). And they look cool!!!

This thread is starting to make me miss the pair that I had...

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago