Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown input help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 10, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok ill cut to the chase, i left my peavey mark 3 at the school. my band is closing a show there. well the school jazz band went into the auditorim and tried to use my stuff, well i took the speaker cable out so nobody would use it. im nto sure what happned or what they did, either way, my low gain input is now burnt/blown. i get no sound coming from it at all. what do i do? can i fix it myself? help

keith

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Do you know anything about electronics repair? If you don't then the answer is NO YOU CAN"T FIX IT.

If the school jazz band really used your amp, I would approach the band director about paying for any repair.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, be sure that the band director is notified.

In the future, if you can't keep it locked up and secured, try removing the fuse and taking it with you. Sounds like some idiot may have tried to put a powered signal into your input to use your amp as an "extra speaker". Morons . . .

Be nice to the director, but firm. If the other bands had ANY type of school supervision, the repair expense should be their responsibility.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    oh yea i do intend to inform. yea it was stupid of me to leave it but when i have 100% absolute reassurance from school officials...yea.

and as far as electrical knowledge, yes i do have a knowledge. im asking about how to go about it. thanks anyway.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    zongeek,

If the OTHER input jack works OK, then they either broke the jack or burnt out the series resistor connected to the input jack.

Both are easy fixes, figure out which it is and replace.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    alrighty, ill open her up today and chech it out. thanks.