Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown Mesa Boogie Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wingslax, Jun 18, 2003.

1. wingslax

wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    Well, I have a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1x15. The speaker dosen't work anymore, and i dont know if a re-coning will work to fix it. I need some suggestions as to what replacement speaker i should buy. I am looking at some Eminence speakers, and they seem to be a good idea. Any input at all is welcomed. Thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Eminence Kappa 15LF is a good match for that cab. Best price I've found is www.partsexpress.com, they'll e-mail you a terrific sale price. I've used them before and was very happy.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What makes you think that? A recone is pretty much like getting a speaker that is brand new. All the components, including the electronics, are changed except the magnet and the basket.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Make sure a wire inside did not come loose first. Reconing can be as much as a new Eminence Kappa Pro. (I know, that sucks!)
    But.... I replaced a tired EVL15 with one for $120.US. I could not be happier. How old is your Mesa cab? The older ones were soldered.

5. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    you probably dont need a recone. I have a powerhouse 115 that also blew but it wasn't the cone the glue on the voice coil came off when it got hot. The same thing might have happened to yours. BTW 2 years waranty on the speaker which is probably made by Eminence.

6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Man...You should have bought an EDEN

7. grrrr.

8. Did you buy it new/used? How old is it? Is it still under Mesa's warranty? Just have the store you bought it from replace the speaker.

ps. Same thing happened to me, blown 15, and the company had Mesa ship out another 15.

pps. I think the speaker is actually
    PAS, but Mesa's website says 'Custom Powerhouse Speaker'.

9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What? So it would have been unplayable and sounded like mush from the very beginning?:D :p :smug: BURN!!!!!

:bag: Hiding from Munji.......

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    +1 :D

Seriously though, if you want to replace the speaker, I have a really nice Yamaha 15 that I used in a 215 cab that sounds good. If you live near me, you can have it.

-Mike