Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guru0z, Sep 9, 2003.

1. guru0z

guru0z

Aug 17, 2003
    I have a crest lt 2000 power amp. I dont really know much about power amps and i messed around with the channel level attenuators, setting it to -80 dB. I turned on the amp and it immediately shut down. Now it wont come back on. Is it blown?What should i do?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I honestly have no idea, but i changed the name of the thread to something a little more specific to get more attention.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is the power light still on? If so, sounds to me like you blew a fuse.

If the lights are still on, it has gone into protect mode. This can happen for any number of reasons, but it's usually because there's something wierd going on in the signal chain.

Best thing to do in this situation is to disconnect everything from the amp. Turn it on. If it's still in protect mode with nothing attached to it, you've got problems with the amp so take it to a repairer.

If it seems ok, then use a process of elimination to find out what's upsetting it. Connect one thing at a time. Try connecting a speaker first, turn the amp on. Keep going until you find the culprit.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Whatever happened, it's a pretty sure bet that your messing around with the gain controls had nothing to do with it.

5. Bob Lee
    Hijackin' the thread for a minute, sorry.

Bob,
    If I ran three 8ohm cabs on my 2402 would it handle the 2.67ohm bridged?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    At low to moderate levels, yes. At high power, it would probably current-limit or thermal (that is, shut down because the heat sink temperature was too high).

Read the manual for details.