Blown speaker help Mesa Subway 112. RESOLVED

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SV777, Nov 16, 2016.

1. SV777

SV777

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    I have a 6 month old Subway 112 cab that just blew its speaker.
    I never crank the volume ,bass or use distortion and usually use a compressor( to catch loud transients for slap etc ) but I guess I pushed it too hard ??

Don't see replacements on Mesa site? Anyone have suggestions for perhaps a similar but more robust replacement or tips to avoid this again
    Thanks

dfab likes this.
  2. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

What are you using for an amp?

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Warranty?

Even if no, contact Mesa before doing anything. You never know. They might want to look at the driver for an OEM evaluation.....

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give customer service a call and explain the situation.

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I would contact Mesa and ask for their help/advice. They are outstanding when it comes to customer service and you may find it's covered under warranty depending on the circumstances surrounding the cause of the failure. Mesa gear is pretty bulletproof when operated within its design envelope, but failures do occasionally occur in every product line. Good luck!

6. SV777

SV777

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    Im using a D800 with it
    Just took speaker out of cab to inspect. There was no scratching with cone movement

I found a crumpled staple sitting on voice coil area !!
    Removed it. Repositioned speaker and all is good so far

Thanks !!

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Excellent, easy fix.

You would be surprised as what can end up in a cabinet. In addition to the usual dead rodents and bugs, I have found black widows, scorpions, bits of guitar strings, nuts, screws, weed, tools and all kinds of stage debris.

8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I recently bought a cab from a different mfr that had a spade connector to one of the drivers disconnected. I thought the speaker was blown too. Did the same as you to find my issue. I love an easy fix.
    Glad you're OK.

SV777 likes this.
  9. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Unless you were working on Peavey cabs finding Black Widows and Scorpions would be beyond disconcerting, the rest of the stuff seems benign enough though. :)

10. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Panama City, Florida
    Somebody somewhere is still wondering where their stash went.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I knew I put it there - I just wanted to give Andy a tip for good service...

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I'm sure!

I was servicing a large format touring console maybe 25 years ago and it had to come out of the case. Found some blow in a zip lock baggie, and a bunch of chick's phone numbers. Some days!

13. So did you ask the boss for the rest of the week off? :cool:

14. BassManKK

BassManKK

Feb 1, 2016
    Isn't that the epitome of the 'good old days!'

agedhorse likes this.
  15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    How did you know it was "blow," as compared with baking soda or any number of other white powders? ;)

16. It's not polite to ask. But since you did the old taste test is always first............................. Or so I heard................................... I really wouldn't know...

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

When I was a tech at a music store that handled 10 school systems, a Kustom bass combo came in for repair from a WI middle school. As I was inspecting the amp, I pulled the velcro'd grill and a used, florescent orange condom fell out. We all had a good laugh, and when I wrote up the repair ticket to the school, among the repair details, I added "Removed used condom from behind speaker grill."

The head of my dept was ready to ream me out and make out a new ticket, but then thought about it, and decided the school should know what their students are up to, and left it. He told me he left the ticket as I wrote it.

S-Bigbottom and agedhorse like this.
  18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    how did you know the condom was used?

don't answer that...

19. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    It's not polite to ask. But since you did the old taste test is always first............................. Or so I heard................................... I really wouldn't know...

:) couldn't resist

20. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    i found mouse dropping in my Ampeg ba-110.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022