1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown speaker? Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dthcore, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    Whats up guys! So i think i might have a blown speaker but im not sure.

My bass cab was at a practice spot for quite some time. Alot of bands practiced there. I was letting a friend use it. And ive had it home for a while now. I plugged it in today.

And i notice i get a clipping ish vibrating sound from the cab when i turn on The ultra low setting on my head.

And now im starting to think a speaker or two might be blown. But i dont know. I bought this cab new. Its not even a year old Ampeg 8x10. Ill post a vid demonstrating before i select the ultra low and after.

Im not sure if it would clip i if i just turned it up higher with ought the ultra low because i cant turn my cab up too loud because i live in apartments.

Link is below on comments.

2. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014

3. Reminds a bit of what I'm going through with my 2x10"

I'm only learning about this stuff so won't pretend to know, the real helpful guys will be along shortly. Wondering, can you see the speaker cones clearly?

4. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    I hope you get yours fixed too man! Or hopefully nothing is wrong with it. Haha.

YES! I took off the grill shortly to look at them and non of them are ripped. They look fine.

And all have sound coming from them Im pretty positive. I just dont know what that clipping, vibraty, rattly sound its making is. Its not even on that loud at all.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    First what Head is it that you are using. And what are your knob settings? It sounds more like amp clipping from the video but hard to say.
    One thing you can try but be very careful . Take the grill off and gently push the cones in and let them come back out very gentle is the key here do not push on the dust caps in the middle of the speaker . Just outside the cap will work fine you are looking for any resistance to movement or scraping noise /feel.scraping noise . That can tell you if the coil is melted or out alignment.

6. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The brap sound is a loudspeaker exceeding X-lim IE the back of the cone is hitting the front of the magnet.
    So you are left with three scenario options.
    A) if it's one or more speakers has a collapsed suspension and is bottoming out before the rest.
    B) The gear works fine but with the aid of a clueless operator + dime'd active bass control and heavy boosting of the VLF IE the bass boost engaged. The limit on all drivers has been reached at 30Hz without actually managing to make any audible bass guitar sound at all.
    C) Someone who didn't understand scenario B has been using your cab and all the suspensions are damaged.

maestrovert likes this.
  7. I'm thinking the same as Bassmec. If only one driver is exhibiting the problem it will need to be replaced. The lesson to be learned here is not to allow your equipment to be used willy nilly by anyone without your personal supervision!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    yup, i hear voice coil rubbing and scraping.

9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, individually test each speaker as Nighttrain suggested...something no bueno. Splay your fingers around the dustcap on the cone and push in a gentle, even, straight, linear motion in. and let it return itself. Scraping means the coil wrapping is damaged and is hitting the magnet driver. Recone or replace.

10. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    try connecting the speaker cable to a 9v battery, on and off. you may hear the scraping sound.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed with Bassmec- and the first thing to understand is that using any sort of "bass boost" will greatly limit the amount of volume you can safely use, with a good spkr cab. Sounds like excessive use of low end, and some damaged spkrs as a result. Reconing is the cheaper option, over replacing them outright, but fix you must. Then, watch that low eq, and avoid using any sort of bass boost, unless the volume is kept significantly lower.

12. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    Ok i will check each individual speaker in a bit.

How do i use the battery method? I mean i know how to but what means what? How do i know if its broken? Listen for the scraps? Nothing happens? And how do i know if a speaker is ok?

13. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    It sounds like C. I took of the grill to see if i can listen to the speakers individually even though they are all playing or to see any weird movement. And im positive i heard the burp from all of them

i called my dad to see what he thought. He feels like he heard it from all of them too.

And im furious, I dont know who did this. But they screwed me over bad and it sucks...

Im taking it to guitar center Thursday to have it checked. Im pretty mad. Because i saw that each individual speaker is 100 dollars.... and there is 8 of them....

14. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    Another question. What is a good speaker to replace the ones i have? Preferably some that are more durable... lol

15. kzr750r1

kzr750r1

Aug 12, 2011
    NorCal
    Don't take it to gui**** center. If any of them have a scraping sound they are bad. They are only going to perform the same tests. Battery just induces a load on the coil to move it. Just on off with it don't hold it on the thing. That will give you another perspective aside from pushing with your hand.
    Also an impedance test on each may find a shorted one.

Time to price new speakers or get the bad ones rebuilt.

Don't let just anyone use your gear...

16. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    Btw something i didnt mention. But i still might possibly have warranty for it. BUT! im not sure.. Ill find out soon. But im not sure if GC warranty covers something like this.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you have their "pro coverage", it does cover this. A manufacturers warranty will not.

18. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    I think it was the amp settings man. I just changed it and im not getting that blarp noise, unusual vibration and clip noise. BUT the thing is i didnt turn it up super high because i live in apartments but i didnt get that noise at the same volume i would have it before. But i am unsure what would happen if i really turned it up like over half way.

Im using an ampeg B500DR. And the settings were.

Gain: 9
    Bass: 9
    treble: 5
    Mid: 7
    Blend: 8

and it also had the ultra low setting on it.

Current settings:

Gain: 7
    Bass: 5 1/2
    Mid: 7
    treble: 5 1/2
    Blend: 7

And im also using a B7K darkglass pedal.

19. Dthcore

Dthcore

May 5, 2014
    Im still planning on taking it to get it checked.

20. Don't take it to Guitar Center. For the most part, they are untrained idiots. Take it to a real tech, one who has a signal generator. He/she can put a pure low-frequency signal into each driver and listen to it and if the voice coil is rubbing, the noise will be clear.

I could do it for you if you are in the Nashville area.