Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown speaker - how do I protect the next one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maurice Carr, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Just blew my 15" speaker at a gig tonight - in too much of a hurry to disconnect my bass, pulled the jack out, huge spike from the amp and into the speaker - and now my speaker has the type of distortion that guitarists would kill for!

It's a 400w 15" 8ohm with an Eden WT550 - I know, I should have a more gruntier speaker cab but that's a month away.

Damn, after 34 years of bass playing you'd think I'd know better.

I can get the speaker repaired for $NZ200.00 ( US 120 ) but I want to protect it from my stupidity next time.

Does anyone know of any protection circuitry I can put in between the amp and the speaker, or anywhere else to prevent spikes blowing it?

I'll ask the speaker repair guys but they might be commercially inclined to spin me a yarn.

Mo

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Slow down and take your time. Once in 34 years is good though.

-Mike

3. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    A great question for the Eden forum:

www.eden-electronics.com/forum

There are a few advocates of using compressors in your signal chain, don't know if that's what you need though.

4. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Good thinking! Thanks. I'll quiz that forum

Also the Eden already has a compressor but I'm not a fan of compressors. Someone suggested a limiter - I may explore that posibility.

Isn't it funny after all these years I finally blow a speaker through laziness and then have to ask a question for which the answer is probably some equipment that just about everyone has as a "must have"

Cheers

Mo

5. He disconnected it on purpose by the sound of it tho

6. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Hehe - never thought of it that way - gosh I feel better already :smug:

Thanks

Mo

7. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    True - I did - without thinking to turn the amp gain to zero.

A Senior Moment I think they call it nowadays and that's what I have to guard against :)

Mo

8. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks - will see if it's available here in NZ. The likes of Musician's Friends don't ship here and I may have to buy local at rediculous prices.

Mo

9. Isn't that what bass players call "growl"? :D

10. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    From my experience with that cable...

It doesn't work all of the time. It was difficult to tell whether ot not the cable was turned on or off. I might have just had a bad cable, but I returned it shortly after purchasing and went with a normal cable with no switch.

-Craig

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    At the risk of belaboring the obvious, always pull the cable out of the amp before pulling it out of the bass. That's a surer thing than any electrical gimmick you can buy. Even better, don't pull anything out until a minute has passed after turn-off.

12. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Haha - No - not quite - more like a eunuch trying to growl, with the neighbour's cat in close harmony!!! :)

Mo

13. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    I know, I know, I know, I know :crying:

I done that fairly much faithfully for many years, but once you're over 50 senior moments take over.

Speaker was swapped today for an exchange recond with a 3" voice coil and cast frame instead of the previous 2" voice coil on pressed steel - sounds sweet and only cost me $NZ 180.00 ( $US120.00 ) :smug:

But I will heed your advice!

Mo

14. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    I was wondering about that myself and it seemed a little too "iffy" to me to rely on.

Of course following correct procedure negates all this but when tired, in a hurry etc etc ( or some-one else touches your gear unauthorised ) then something more idiot proof needs to be in the circuit!.

Mo