Blown speaker in a GK SBX? Need some help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Feb 21, 2010.

1. So I just got a used GK SBX 410+ from guitar center.

I've had it for less than a month. About two weeks ago I noticed that the sound was a bit harsh on the high end, but I figured that maybe I was just used to a 15" speaker.

Today I ran the speaker along with a GK GLX 410 using 1/4" speaker connections from my 700rb. Everything went rather well, I was running my woofer and volume at about 10:00 - 1:00, depending on the song, and during one song I used an ODB-3 in a song that's in low C#. I was playing my Stingray.

We take a break from practice and I come back to hear a rattling and crackling from the upper right speaker and it looked like it was moving more and faster than the other speakers, but sound was still coming out of it. I tried switching cables, amps, everything, nothing fixed it.

Is my speaker blown? If so, how should I go about fixing it?

2. Bump cuz I need some help.

3. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Take the grill off and check the speaker. Look at the surround to make sure it's intact. With no signal place your fingers around the dust cap evenly and push enough to make the cone move. If you hear some rubbing you are in need of a new driver. You could also use a multi meter and check the OHMs. They should read some where near 32. GK has a store on their web site where you can order a direct replacement. Best of luck.

4. What does the dust cap look like? Sorry, I've never had to open up a cab before...

5. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    The dust cap is the round dome cover in the center of the speaker. Don't push on it directly but cup your fingers around it where the glue line is.

6. Alright thanks a bunch. I'll do that and get back on here with some results.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021