1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blown speaker in Ampeg 410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nashvillain, May 3, 2006.

1. nashvillain

nashvillain

May 3, 2006
    I purchased an Ampeg 410 HLF cabinet and a GK 400 RB-IV amp just over a year ago, and I've just blown a speaker for the second time in just over a year.

Right after I picked up the rig, I used it for recording in a home studio. The engineer really cranked the amp to get a huge sound that shook the whole house. It sounds great on record, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that shortened the life of my speakers considerably. Is it possible that the damage done almost a year ago could be just cropping up now? Or is it something else I'm doing wrong?

I've been playing bass for over a decade, but I'm still remarkably ignorant when it comes to technical stuff, so any help you can provide would be great.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yes, possibly.... depends on what was done.

If it "shook the whole house" it sounds like the lows were cranked to the max.

The chance of damage depends on what happened then. If the speakers got a lot of signal that is below the cabinet capabilities (it is ported) they could easily have gotten damaged through moving too far.

All speaker ratings for power are based on staying within the capabilities of the speaker, frequency wise. It's a rare speaker that will take its full ratings at just any frequency, or at DC.
    It is at least theoretically possible to damage many high power speakers at a very low power, if that power is put in at a low frequency or at DC.

But, I don't know what really happened, so I can't be sure that one situation did any harm at all.