Blown speaker in my avatar cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt_chew, Feb 26, 2005.

1. So as im about to start playing through my rig the other day, i noticed a constant distorted sound, so sure enough, i took the grille off of my avatar 2x10 and noticed i could hear the voice coil rubbing.

My rig consists of a lakland 44-02 into a BBE bmax preamp and QSC RMX 1450 poweramp. My cabs are an avatar 2x10 and 1x15(both are the older rear ported cabs). Over the past couple weeks, i played three shows. One i used my whole rig and had everything cranked up pretty loud. Then, a week later I played two shows 2 nights in a row just using my 2x10. I ran the poweramp bridged both times. The clip light on the poweramp was rarely coming on and when i noticed that it was, i turned down.

My question is, is it worth it just replacing the cab with the same speaker? Im pretty sure these speakers were eminence deltas, could handle 350watts rms each. If i was to buy different speakers, i would have to replace both, correct?
  2. If you want to change speaker models, yes, replace both. Talk to Dave over at Avatar. He can get anything that Eminence makes, and I think I can say that you would be wasting your time looking for a better price too. You could probably pick up a Delta 10 for about 58 bucks shipped, but then you'll be asking yourself if the other speaker might be on its last leg too.

I'm not sure of your exact 2x10 cab, but you could explore the option of upgrading both of those speakers to Eminence Kappa pros. Avatar outfits the B210 Kappa pro cab with these. Might be stronger speakers, especially if you plan on running the 2x10 alone without the 1x15 cab.

3. I dont have my cab here at school with me right now, but im pretty sure the speakers are eminence deltas.
  4. I can vouch for both the kappas and the neos if you're looking to upgrade. They are both excellent speakers if you're looking to replace. Great tone and the kappas have a pretty ridiculous power rating (~500 watts rms each)
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "voice coil rubbing", but what happened to me once was the dust cap (dome center) came partially unglued and was making a flapping sound. I was able to carefully glue it back using Elmers glue and it sounded like new.
  6. I see that your at CP. Im a music minor at Towson.

what i was assuming when i said the voice coil was rubbing was that the voice coil is hitting the cone when you push in on the cone. This is one sign of a blown speaker.
  7. orskard

Mar 17, 2004

Hey, my 2x10 with deltas blew a speaker too. i had the 4 ohm model, and i was really under powering it. Make sure your not putting too much or too little power into it. I upgraded to the 8 ohm so my PLX will put less power into it. 600 watt cab with 700 watts from my PLX.

What kind of watts can you PLX put out? Maybe you should run it in stereo and not bridged. im not sure, just talking.
  8. I actually have the 8 ohm model and my poweramps an RMX haha i wish i had a PLX.

I was running the poweramp in stereo for a while. I stopped because i found myself just turning everything up that much more in stereo to get the same volume i had when the amp was bridged.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wow, lots of Baltimorons!!! :p I'm just a few minutes away in Timonium!

Open your window, i'll play you something. ;)
  10. I wouldn't put the NEOs or the Kappas in it,each cabinet may be the same size but they are tuned for the drivers that come with them.Just replace it with another Delta if you want it to sound right.
  11. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I have an Avatar 212. If anything happened to it, I would call the owner of the company, who is usually the one who answers the phone at Avatar, and ask him what to do. He would tell you exactly the right driver to buy for the particular tuning of the cabinet that you have.

My 212 is slot loaded and presumably the slot depth is correct for the exact driver that Avatar put in it. Putting in a different driver would probably require some adjustment of the box.

Bottom line -- Call Avatar and ask them what to do.
  12. Take the speaker out, measure the port height and width, find out the cu ft of the 2x10, and then plug whatever-driver-you-want's TS specs into winISD and keep changing the tuning frequency until it shows your port depth. The old process of elimination will show you how different speakers will work in your cab. Eminence Neos just happened to work out perfectly in my fender 2x10 combo, so check it out.
  13. I might be wrong, but I'd bet that if one measured the port slot on the B210Delta, Neo, Pro, they'd find they are the same. I think Avatar uses the same cabinet for all of the 210 series. I could be wrong..

14. so whats the scoop on those Neo drivers? I dont really know much about them.
  15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Cockeysville MD here (and using Avatars as well)!!! :D
  16. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Bel Air, MD, with Avatars on my list.
  17. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    Frederick (aka Fredneck) here.
  18. What amazing customer service at avatar. I emailed dave and he emailed me back within 6 hours and said he would just get another delta 10 and is giving me a great deal on one. :D
  19. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    What'd I tell ya --