Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown Speaker? Nope, dead bug.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phishaholik, Mar 10, 2006.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    This has to be a new one. I ordered a SWR Goliath III off ebay. It was in rougher condition than advertised and one of the speakers distorted badly. Enough, so I heard it right away. I've had the cabinet in the corner of my house, since I have many, many others and I decided to pull the speaker again and get it ready to ship it out for repair. There has been what looked like a glob of black, puffy glue on the edge of the dust cover. I assumed that it had been repaired badly in the past and it needed a professional to re-do the work. Since I was sending it in anyway, I decided to see what happened if I scraped the glue away. Well, I started to scrape and found out it wasn't a piece of glue at all. It was either a dead bug, or an egg pod that never hatched. I scraped it all away and put the speaker back and you guessed it, no distortion. I can't believe my luck. It's been sitting unused for about six months now. Every time I looked at it made me angry. I didn't want to send it back because I would have been out $150 just for the shipping cost. I really can't believe a dead bug was causing all of the distortion.

Mike

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Wow, cool for you to find that! Made me want to look again at my blown speakers...but alas, I know they are blown. I wish it had just been a bug!