1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blown Speaker? :o(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashtray, Apr 25, 2009.

1. As much as I know about amps (ok, it's limited) - I haven't had a bass amp with a blown speaker in a long time. If a cab is making a LOUD buzz sound from the speaker (not the grill or anything else, and only ONE of the speakers is making this sound, not the other one in the same cab) but only a particular note (not all notes), does that mean the speaker is blown? (it does make a much softer buzzing on other low notes, but really loves one particular note!)

Or is there something else I should be looking at that is causing that reaction at that frequency?

I just figured a blown speaker would sound blown equally on all notes...

(or its late, and my mind stopped working hours ago...) :ninja:

2. First make sure all the speaker mounting screws/bolts/clamps are tight as well.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it is very common for a speaker that has a rubbing voice coil to buzz louder on some notes than others.

4. I just blew a speaker and it sounded exactly like your describing it. Inspect the cone. It didn't look like it at first glance, but when I pressed against it, I could tell that the cone was "ripped"/detached from the rest of the speaker. Sucks. Hopefully it's not the case. I have had plastic, wrappers, whatever around/behind a cab making noises before, but that wasn't the case for me this time.

5. I'll have to have a closer look at the speaker. Odd thing is, I just had a chance to really play it at a nice volume... when I turn the bass frequency down, this cab punches like no other! No detection of a blown speaker (the thing is so loud, I couldn't hear if there was some slight buzz). But when I add some low end to it, even at low volumes, there's some buzzing from one of the speakers. When I hit the B note (not a 5 string), the buzz is louder than the note from the other speaker. Very bad.

But would a blown speaker still be able to crank out loud volumes of mid frequencies? I'm trying to make sure I don't go wasting money on a replacement speaker if it doesn't need it.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

It's possible for a misaligned voice coil to buzz while still working. Until the insulation wears through, at which point it opens or shorts.

7. +1, and if it DOES short, there is a slight possibly that it might damage your amp, by making the total impedance suddenly drop drastically. Better fix it soon.

8. in that case is it safe to just unplug the blown speaker(in a 4x10 for instance) and just play through it like normal with the remaining 3 speakers plugged in? -joep

9. UPDATE:

The cab in question is a Schroeder 1010R. I tried different things this time, and got different results!

No loose wires in the cab. Removed the grill to eliminate that as an issue.

When playing the cab in the horizontal position, very bad buzz from the angled speaker.
    When playing the cab in the vertical position the buzz is gone!

I then removed the side handle, thinking maybe this was vibrating.

The buzz got much worse in the horizontal position, and now was even bad in the vertical position!

Put the handle back on, and things returned back to "normal" with the buzz horizontal, but not vertical.

I'm running out of things to try... but at least I'm thinking the speaker isn't blown.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if there is absolutely NO buzz or foreign noises when the cab is on its side then it is safe to say that your speaker(s) is/are fine. now it sounds more like a cab resonant freq causing either a hardware (handles,corners,grill,jack plate) issue or a glue joint/bracing issue, speaker mounting issue or possibly the tinsel leads or wiring contacting the back of the cone. without actually being there and hearing it in person, those are the first things that i would check.

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Could be an air leak.

On Eden cabs, it's common for an air leak through the unused 1/4" input jacks. We Eden users plug 'em with foam earplugs, though Eden does supply little plastic plugs.

This leak sounds just like a blown speaker, and often only on certain notes.

It's easy to test.

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    could be some loose wire at the back of the angled speaker...
    when in vertical position, the loose is pulled away from the angled speaker...

just a wild guess

13. Re: Air leak - yeah, I thought of this, but don't see any issues offhand. Plus I don't understand why it would be affected by cab position.

Re: Loose wire - I looked, and all the wires are very neatly away from the speakers.

I'm going to check all the screws, just in case.

I turned the cab upside down (horizontally) and it has the same buzz.

Jorg suggested I could send the cab to him and he would check it out - but I'm going to still try to solve it on my own first...

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    if it doesnt buzz while on it's back, then it could be the two wires that go from the terminal strip to the voice coil on the speaker. They could be smacking the back of the cone if they are too long. You could take the speakers out and swap their locations if they are identical. You might find your issue that way.