Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown speaker on EA CXL-110!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Aug 6, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The speaker on my one-month-old CXL110 blew last night.

For the life of me I can't understand how this could have happened. I, and a couple of others who were using the rig, were running it with my AI Clarus head, but the volume never went past the 12 o' clock mark.

Now it's gonna cost me more than $200 to get the driver replaced.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Could it be a defective unit, or am I missing something big here?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If it's only a month old it should still be under warranty. Don't sweat it.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Apparently not - the dealer told me that if the cone was ripped or the voice coil burned, it wasn't covered under warranty. :meh:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why not email EA directly and see what they have to say about it - I've heard stories on here how they are very helpful when you talk to them direct, rather than going to a dealer?

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Agreed. I had a problem with my CXL-112 when I got it - it wasn't "blown" but it was making a farting sound. I got in contact with John and Gary at EA, and they issued a call tag to have the amp picked up, replaced the driver, and shipped it back. If it's only a month old, I suspect they'd take care of you as they did me.

BTW, the speaker's been fine ever since.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks guys.

I've emailed both the dealer and EA with further details of the problem. I'll let everyone know how this pans out.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had two CXL-110's and they made funny noises from DAY ONE. Even at low volumes. I returned mine to EA and they said they were fine and I said I didn't want them. now I'm waiting to try the CXL-112L. I hope I don't have problems with that one! I haven't given up on EA....Yet.

please describe how you sound was not sounding right?

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Well, as I said, I've had it for a month, and up until yesterday it sounded great.

Then, I take it to the jam last night. I play the first set, sounds fine. Next guy plays the next set, sounds fine. Next guy plugs in to play set #3 and it's fartville.

Someone there who knows a bit about speakers checked it out and said he saw a rip in the cone, but I still don't get how the speaker could have blown at that volume. It makes no sense.

9. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    My local music shop ordered an EA combo for an AUB player and while I was trying it out at medium volume I blew the speaker. The distributor sent another one out straight away and the poor guy only had it a month before he did the same. Quality issue?

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The entire time I had my 110's I believe that I NEVER drove them in distortion for any extended period of time. once or twice I did the pluck test.

I had what I called a "flutter" sound that started around 90dB. they told me the cone was hitting maximum excursion? at 90?!?! and accoustic guitar is louder than 90 when played hard! bass knob was not cranked. I tried mine at church a few times, play in kids band. couldn't hear the flutter with the band, but get back home and "flutter". it was not like the speakers tone was bad, it was actully good, but had this "flutter" sound on top of the good/normal note tone.

I heard the sound from day one like I said and attributed it to the small cab, but the more I heard it the more I didn't like it. it didn't sound like the normal "farty" or "scratchy" blown sound of bad voice coils or anything like that.

11. The Clarus wasn't clipping was it? I've borrowed a Clarus before to use on a jazz trio gig. It's pretty wimpy into an 8 ohm load. The amp shut down on me once and was very quiet at a "safe" level.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hi all,

I contacted Larry at EA and the dealer (Club Bass). The problem isn't covered under warranty but they have made me a generous offer on the repairs.

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Hmmmmm....are these warning signs? I have a CXL112 that has performed flawlessly as my upright cabinet.But when I use it with my electric it doesn't seem to perform at higher volumes as well as my Bag End S15D. When Chris used the term "farty" that sure made me think about the CXL112 at higher gig volumes.Hmmmmm......

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am glad to hear you got hooked up. Its nice to see some manufacturers stand by their clientel.

15. That's pretty cool of them.
    Where was the cone ripped? Where it joins the basket (outer edge)?
    It's rated for 350W continuous so it should be able to deal with the Clarus no trouble. Did you have a bunch of low end dialed in on the EQ?

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    That's what's had me scratching my head. I didn't see where the rip was, but there wasn't any extraneous bass boost either.

I had used the rig at higher volumes, with lower frequencies before with no problems.

They told me that it was likely a combination of clipping from the underpowered head and too much low end, or perhaps being pushed too hard for too long.

In any case, I have been given two impressively generous offers by EA and Club Bass: a discount price on a replacement woofer, or a trade-in on another model. Seeing as how this isn't warrantied damage, this is really great of them. :)

EDIT: Mark, your sig describes me now! Aargh...

17. That sounds like a line to get out of warranty replacement to me. Was the amp actually clipping, it's got a clip light, right?
    Anyway, unless the distortion was plainly audible there's no way that the amp was putting more than 350W continuous into that cab. Was there a lot of cone movement?
    My suspicion is that if you weren't hearing a lot of distortion and if you weren't really boosting the low end, the speaker may have been defective. Unfortunately, there probably isn't any way to prove that.
    But if you are sure you weren't clipping the amp or over boosting the low end I'd tell them so. It probably won't get you a warranty replacement though..
    :(

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you considered upgrading to a CXL112? They are killer cabinets.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is the "counter - intuitive" part - most people think - ah... the cab takes 350 - 400 I better not go for anything bigger like a 500, but I will be safe with a 300 watt head, no matter what I do!

Whereas it is the other way round and turning up the volume, with an under-powered amp is the 'bad' thing to do?

:meh:

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I know... but I figured that any clipping that might be damaging to the speaker would be audible.

Perhaps not?