1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blown SPeaker Questions for those who know.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. atomic_turtle


    Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    I did a search and got a lot of usefull info, for example the 9volt battery test, but I still have some specific questions that I hope some of you can anwser.

    1st of all I have an SWR 6x10 Goliath Senior Cabinet with one blown sub. From SWR's website I have Discovered that it is an 8ohm PAS 10"Driver.

    I am assuming the speaker is blown because of the bad farting like sound it makes at moderate to loud volumes, and because upon closer imspection of one of teh drivers I noticed something that didnt look good and that was only on this driver. When I lightly press in on the speaker I notice what i believe is a tear yet it does not go all teh way through the paper material of the speaker. If you were to go from the outside edge of the center dome of teh speaker and move your finger 1/4" away from the the dome the speaker material there flexes abnormally when slight pressure is applied.

    1. Is it ok to run the cab with the damaged speaker? Will it hurt anything else?
    2. Is there an online site that I can buy a PAS Speaker or a replacement from? My local SWR dealer didnt impress me with their knowledge and basically said they would need to call SWR to order an new one. A reputable speaker repair shop here in lewiston is about 4 weeks out if I want to do a recone.
    3. What do you guys recommend to do use the blown speaker and wait for a true replacement driver. Recone teh old driver or replace them all with other speakers that are more readily available? I would like to get my cab sounding back to normal as soon as possible. Thanks in advance
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

    Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'd contact New England Speaker Tech in Massachusetts. I think they're in Hollis. They may the most likely in the region to have the recone kits on hand and turn the repair around in a reasonable time. And a recone job costs a lot less than buying a new driver.

    Continuing to play the cabinet with the damaged speaker will just make it sound more and more like crap.
  3. cb56


    Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    SWR PAS 10's can only be purchased from your local Fender dealer. $130 each :eek: You can get them reconed for about $75 I had mine reconed here.
    Did a great job and didn't take very long to do it either.