1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blown speaker vs. cab rattle, is there a way to tell the difference

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by on1ne, Mar 10, 2013.

1. on1ne

on1ne

Dec 21, 2004
    NYC
    My GK 150MB combo (1x12) has developed a rattle which sounds like it could just be something in the cab that has loosened up. Of course it could also be the speaker is going. Is there any way to tell the difference without opening it up? Does not look like an easy chore to get inside.

At most gigs the rattle seems to disappear in the background noise. It's still plainly there when I practice in a quiet room.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you can take the grill off, using your fingertips, GENTLY push with even pressure around the dustcap of the speaker and feel for rubbing. If it moves without rubbing, it's OK. If it rubs, the speaker is shot.

3. on1ne

on1ne

Dec 21, 2004
    NYC
    That's kinda the problem. If you know the small GK combo's, the cabs have dozens of little screws, the kind that get stripped very easily. I don't want to try and open it up myself. I am probably going to take it to a tech but I'd like to know what's up in advance. I don't want to pay for replacing the speaker if I don't have to.

Thanks