Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blown Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Feb 12, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I just blew the speaker in my practice amp and was wondering what I should replace it with? I was hoping to get some recomendations that won,t break the bank and will sound good? It,s a 15 inch speaker and I think I can go 4 or 8 ohms. The old one was 8 ohms. What happens if I go to 4 ohms? Any suggestions??

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just get the driver you have now reconed. Will cost only about half the price of a new speaker but will be essentially a new speaker (all parts replaced but the frame and magnet).

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I didn't damage the cone itself as far as I can tell. I must have fried the coils inside that drive the cone. Doe's that make a difference? I am pretty handy, can I get the parts and do it myself or does it take special tools etc?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Reconing" means replacing the cone, the voice coil, etc. all the moving parts. The voice coil is typically what is damaged when you blow a speaker (actual tears to the cone during operation are extremely rare).

No you can't fix it yourself, take it to a repair shop.

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, there are reconing kits available, but I personally wouldn't attempt it - especially on a high-end type of driver.

- Mike

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for the info and advice. I'll get it reconed. I know a guy who runs sound that also recones speakers.