Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i play thru a swr goliath III 4x10 cab. now before i thought it was the tweeter but i was wrong. theres a nasty disortion/hiss when you strum a low E or D that was never there before. it still does it on the A but not as noticable. the slap bass sounds honky rather then tight and punchy like it use to sound. any ideas?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Shine a flashlight on the edges of the speaker cones or remove the grill and look very closely. Is there any creasing? Creasing would have this effect. If its there, the speaker(s) with the creasing will either have to be reconed or replaced to get rid of this problem.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can try to determine which speaker(s) are the culprits by listening closely to each one while covering the others but this can be quite difficult. you can also try disconnecting them one at a time (too bad the III doesnt have a rear port, i was able to do this easily with my goliath 1 becase my arm would fit back there) even if no physical damage is evident (liek creasing) damaged voice coils will sound like crap and are impossible to see.

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    oh man you guys are gonna love this one.... it was the batteries in my active bass. :p i loaded up the amp and took it to my local shop. he had me plug in one of their basses and it wasnt doing it. so i get new batteries when i got home and WA-LA! man what a relief. it hasnt sounded this good in a long time. i cant believe i forgot about the batteries lol. i havent played seriously for a while so it easily slipped my mind. thanx for the help though guys! i appreciate it.

5. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Don't feel bad did the same thing in a store when I was trying out new cabs. Thought cab had a blown speaker and it was my battery, felt like a giant putz.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Glad to hear it. Its a MUCH cheaper fix! :hyper: