Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alecmcmahon, Jan 6, 2002.

1. what exactly does a blown speaker sound like???

right now im playing through a fender cab with an 18 inch black widow, and two 12"s above it. ( the 12's arent working, dont know why)

but to the point, it sounds very bad and distorted, i was told it could of been the " board " or whatever sort of circutry is inside of it.

is it blown? or could it in fact be the 'board' ?

2. I once had a Kustom head w a 2x15 bottom. One of the 15s blew (don't know how) but the sound my bottom made was a flapping type sound, but, only at certain frequencies (from about low G to B) I also had the woofers in a pair of stereo speakers blow, and they made a similar sound. Actually, when the stereo woofers went, the edges of the speakers had separated from the frames due to age. That's my experience.

Mike J.

3. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Farting sound, flapping, trust me u'll know a blown speaker when you hear one. Turn it up a little bit and hit the B string hard. Some kid tried to sell me a used JR Goliath III with a blown speaker, made me mad when he denied it.... then he told me he pushed the cab with 700w when the thing is rated for 350w. man....

4. well, im not really hearing a flapping sound, not at all, its just distorted...

mabe its not blown??

5. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    it sounds like there is a prob with the speaker. if you playing at low volume and punching that B string and it still distorts the speaker is probably shot. If possible try another head but it sounds like its shot...it should not distort. I'd look into getting another cab if possible...

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you are playing an 18" speaker by itself full range, you are not going to get a lot of clarity. It will sound muddy and flabby. Especially if you don't have a ton of head room.

Are the 12s and the 18 in the same cabinet? If so, you are probably playing through a PA speaker. Does it also have a horn?

There is no "board" inside a speaker cabinet. Unless it is equipped with a crossover, there are no electronics at all inside the cabinet. A PA cabinet often does have a crossover and if the 12s aren't working it might be cooked.

This person who mentioned the "board" may have been referring to the amplifier, which could indeed be the problem.

Could you give us a little more detail about the rig? Maybe we could offer a little more insight.

Chas

7. its DEFINITLY NOT a PA speaker..

its a Fender BXR spectrum with an 18 " peavey black widow that was put in to customize the cab.

right now the two 12's that are above the black widow are not working, i dont know why.. all the wiring is right i think.

i am playing with a Hartke HA3500 ,which i just bought brand new.

this " board " ..well.. in the back of the cab.. there is this thing were you plug in the jack of course.. but there is all this other stuff... i dont know what they are called.. i guess the cross over thing??

and.. i dont think an 18 inch would sound like that just by itself...

8. and oh yes, progplayer, its not just with the B string ( im on a 4 string first of all ) its with any string, and any note.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    18" speakers are typically not designed to be used full range and alone. If you are pushing a bunch of highs through it, it will sound muddy and flabby.

I am not familiar with that particular model of cabinet, but it after snooping a bit on the net, does appear to have a built in crossover. Most huge cabinets like that with two sizes of drivers are designed for bi-amping.

On the back, there may be three 1/4 inputs. One says "high" one says "low" and ones says "full range" or just "full." There may be a toggle switch that performs the function. However to have to get it there, make sure you are in FULLRANGE mode.

If you are running a fullrange signal (which you are from your harke) into the jack labeled "low," this would explain why the 12s aren't working. Because you aren't sending anything to them.

With only one output from the amp, you need to run into full range in order to carry a signal to all speakers.

If the cabinet only has "high" and "low" and no fullrange input, use two speaker cables (NO INSTRUMENT CABLES!!) and run a cable from each of your speaker outs on the head to each of the inputs. You should then be feeding everything.

If you can't figure it out, let us know exactly what is on the back of the cabinet. You could also post another string with BXR spectrum in the header. I am sure that TBer somewhere along the line has owned one.

Lastly, it is true that the speaker may be blown. I noticed that the speaker is a Peavy BW. You might want to make sure that it was properly wired in-phase. Also, it is possible that the specs of this black widow are very different that the original Fender speaker. This BW speaker may not perform well in that particular cabinet. Every speaker is designed for a particular cabinet.

And, maybe the crossover is not working correctly. I

I think we can figure this one out with a little more detail.

Chas

10. thanks Chasarms for explaining to me..

on the back on my cab are indeed three inputs, HIGH, MIDDLE, AND LOW... right now, im running in MIDDLE... ( i plug in to " HIGH" and i get no sound, but it DOES WORK with LOW)..

i have tried all the inputs.. but.. why am i not getting sound out of the 12s? could it be the crossover?? whatever that may be?

ill try to get you guys some more info about speaker, wireing, head, etc

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    sounds like the crossover... If you got that fixed and used the medium input your problems might be gone. If not, then there is a problem with the 18" speaker.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is now starting to sound like the crossover is bad. A crossover this an electronic device that "splits" the fullrange signal at a given frequency and allows the 12" speakers to drive only the mids and highs and not be bothered with attempting to reproduce the low bass. And the 18" handles only the bass and need not worry with the highs.

If the crossover is bad, it would make a great deal of sense why the cabinet sounds bad. You probably are not hearing anything in the mid and high frequency range.

The other possibility is that that the 12s are shot and the crossover is still good.

I really need to find out exactly the function of the three inputs. After that, I am sure we can get to the bottom of it.

HEY TBers!!!!!

Anyone out there own/have owned a BXR Spectrum? If so, Are the "Low," "middle," and "high" three different frequency points that you can cross over? Or is the "middle" fullrange, "high" a straight jack to the 12s and the "low" a straight jack to the 18?"

One thing I am mostly certain of just based on what you have told me is that you have SOME sort of mechanical failure. The cabinet needs service. I just don't know what.

Chas

13. well lets hope its this cross over thing you speak of...

if the 2 12's were completly shot... like blown, they would still make some noise right??

i WOULD bring it in for service.. but.. they charge an expensive 50 $ an hour, PLUSS parts.. and.. i have about 35 bucks in my pocket, sooo...

thats why im trying to find out exactly whats wrong and just buy that peice.

14. monty.. i AM using the Middle input.. there is 3 jacks... Low, Middle, High... High doesnt work, i dont know why, but low and middle do.