Blown Speaker????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Dec 1, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was wondering if you could blow the low end out of a speaker, or does the whole speaker just blow out? I think I blow the low end out of my speaker, but don't know if thats possible
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Speakers rarely, if ever, cut out totally when blown. Usually you will hear a buzzing or rattling sound. I highly doubt your speaker could possibly just lose its low end capability from damage . . .
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have had a blown speaker that only really buzzed when lower notes were played. It became noticeable when I got my 5 string. Replaced the speaker, buzzing when away.
  4. I've seen a lot of ways speakers can fail. Older speakers can have their surrounds get brittle and crack/disintegrate; they can get "flabby" with age (just like me) :D ; their voice coil can overheat and distort (causing the "buzz" people refer too); the voice coil wire can break or burn out, which I have seen a lot so I wouldn't call that rare IMHO. Tho I think older drivers are more susceptible to that form of total catastrophic failure. If this failure happens the speaker won't play anything.

But as far as the original question, though a speaker may buzz or sound flabby, it would still attempt to play all notes whether low or high. I don't think the speaker would play high notes fine but fail to play low notes at all. (if that's what you mean about blowing the low end out)