Blown speakers on Peavey 210 cab - advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eqvolvorama, Oct 25, 2004.

1. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    So this past weekend, while loaned out to a co-headlining band, something happened that made my Peavey 210 PVF suddenly stop making sound. I'm still waiting to do a more thorough analysis of the situation after work, but my gut tells me one or more of the speakers is kaput. The only other possible scenario is that my GK1001RB has a blown power section, which seems unlikely considering the large ratio of amp power/speaker capacity. I also suspect that the lone gunman in this story is some bass preamp clipping, which was pushing a steady diet of square waves into the replacement amp after the incident happened.

I have no real experience or knowledge of speaker or cone replacement, but I was looking for any suggestions TalkBassers would have for my situation. In the last 30 minutes, I've collected the following key pieces of wisdom in my internet research:

1. My cab is likely tuned for a certain flavor of Peavey Speakers, so it would not make sense to pop in any other manufacturers brand of 10" woofer.

2. Reconing is cheaper than replacement (though I don't know how much either would cost.)

3. I'm an idiot for sharing my cab, and should guard my gear from other players like a female hawk guards its eggs.

Any other points of wisdom would be much appreciated.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, you pretty much hit all of the high points. Before you commit yourself to the recone definitely take all of your gear somewhere where you can test it with other components to isolate what's really broken. If you determine that the speakers are in fact bad call peavey. Most companies have you obtain a RA #, ship the speakers to them (not the whole cabinet) and include the cost of shipping them back to you in the recone price. A lot of times they will ship out different speakers that have already been reconed so your turnaround time is faster, but i'm not sure if peavey does this. The neat thing about soem peavey speakers like the black widows were that they sold seperate basket assemblies which screwed off the magnet, making them a customer "recone"