Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown Speakers? Or just in need of re-coning?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CzarMike, Nov 26, 2002.

1. I have accumulated two blown 15" speakers now that both do the same thing. They don't produce good sound (flabby), and if you press the cone in with your hand it makes a terrible crunchy/scratchy sound. When I press down on a good speaker it has pressure against my hand. These are just blown right? Is there any way that I could salvage them? The speakers were very nice and I'd hate to have to pitch them.
    I've heard that re-coning, whatever that is (I know it involves replacing the cone, but nothing beyond that), could help.
    Is this correct? If so is it hard to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Mike S

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Describe them, please. (Brand, etc.):cool:

3. One is a 250-watt Acoustic 15" with the silver center-piece from the 70's
    The other is a 50-watt Traynor 15" from the late 70's and looks brand new.

The acoustic one sounds like a wire is rubbing under it when I press it in, the traynor just crunches.
    Thanks,
    Mike

4. So do you think I need the whole kit, or just voice coils? Where does one go about finding a recone kit for old speakers like these
    Thanks again,
    Mike

5. Check the yellow pages for speaker repair, or do a search on the Internet for speaker reconing. I came across a site a while back that had a pretty comprehensive price list for reconing but unfortunately I don't have the URL handy (it's on my work computer)....They also had reconing kits for the do-it-yourselfer.

However, I will throw out my opinion. Reconing a 15" speaker can run about $100 to $150 depending on the brand. (I think the "silver dust cap "speaker is a CTS but not sure). Gee, I can buy a pretty darn good Eminence from Parts Express for a LOT less than that. So why mess with reconing? That's why I have a dozen or so old blown speakers up in my attic now, to me they're just not worth repairing (except maybe one day the two JBL D140's). And with new speakers I get a warranty (and published Thiele-Small parameters)

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Peach State Audio in Buford, GA is one of the most reputable speaker reconing facilities there is. Go HERE and check them out! They have done reconing for me and they are definitely pros!