1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blown Speakers?????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 810wmb, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i run a 400+ through mesa's 210 and 115 powerhouse cabs

the 210 had a "blown speaker" sound going on. it's only on low notes, on all my basses...am p and j, lakland 4-94

it's coming out of both speakers. if front of both, i can't tell if it's one or the other.

the thing is, i haven't hit them with enough power to blow them.

i have tightened up the grill, faceplate, but not the speakers themselves.

any suggestions?

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    1) With the amp off, move the speakers back and forth and see if you can hear either of the voice coils scraping. Or both. (You could have *two* bad voice coils; in fact it would make sense if you did, at least from a factory-qc/design-tolerance perspective.)

2) If there's no scraping, pull one speaker and make sure its connections are good and tight, then reach around inside the cabinet and make sure the other's connections are good and tight. And check the connection to the rear panel, too.

3) Do you use a lot of bass boost in various places along the signal chain?

4) Your amp might be at fault, defective power supply perhaps, or DC leaking through the output stage. When you turn your amp on, are the speakers "parked" in or out further than they are when the amp is off, even only a fraction of an inch? This is a long shot, but I've seen it happen before.

No buzzing with just the 15 connected, right? You're absolutely sure of that? Put the amp directly on top of the 15 and try it, loud. (You guys see where I'm going with that, right? As in broken circuit-board etch exacerbated by vibration?)

3. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    thanks for the suggestions!

i'll get back to the thread when i check this out

edit - no bass boost....i just had the map checked over a couple of months ago, so i *doubt* the board is messed up. i also have covered foam under the amp to soak up vibrations - that's been there from pretty much day one.

but i will check it out

4. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    well crap, the 15 is doing it also.

this big ass rig is in a little room in my house right now.

it may be picking up vibrations from something in the room. this happened to me a long time ago, drove an hour to take a cab back and it wouldn't do it in the store.

it was something in my music building rattling. i hooked the cab up outside and tried it. no rattle.

i just plugged in my swr bass 350 into both cabinets...same rattle.

i hope this is it. it makes more sense than every speaker i have being screwed.

i'll pack all this crap outside tomorrow and see.