Blown SWR speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoot, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    I live in the UK and have blown one of the speakers in my SWR Redhead combo (2 x 10")

I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of a replacement.

I cant seem to contact SWR or Fender, and hardly any shops in the UK stock SWR....Those that do claim that they are waiting for stock themselves and that I can forget about asking them to order me a speaker.

Does anyone have any ideas or any recomendations about using a different brand of speakers instead?

Zoot bassist.
  2. I blew the speakers in my SWR 212, took it back to L&M where I bought it just in under the warranty date. They said they'd have to get replacements from Fender so after more than a month I got the cab back but with obviously different drivers. Had none of the sound quality the originals did.
    Find something better (like you already said)
  3. I had blown a 15" in my Triad quite some time ago, I had temporarily replaced it with a 400w EV out of another cab. The EV was nowhere near as "rich" as the stock SWR speaker. I'm not saying EVs are bad speakers, just saying that particular model (or that particular speaker) didn't match well with that cab. That being said, you could either wait (especially if it's still under warranty) for a replacement (and contact Fender/SWR through the website), or you could purchase a new speaker. Just make sure you get a speaker that can handle both the power and the frequencies you plan on putting through it.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just be sure that if you use a different speaker, that its Thiele-Small parameters match the dimensions of your enclosure, because an otherwise excellent speaker can sound like absolute crap in the wrong cab.
  5. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    What ever you do, replace both speakers at the same time.
  7. Mik Walker

Mik Walker Supporting Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Might be easiest to try and find a recone kit? A quick trawl of the net shows various places claiming to stock SWR 10" cone kits. If you can be sure of finding an OEM spec kit you could ship one in cheaply (they weigh almost nothing) and get a local tech to put the new cone in maybe?

Might be worth a try (and definitely always best to recone rather than replace if you like the speaker and haven't physically distorted the chassis)
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you can. SWR Pas 10's are $130 each a pro recone job is about $65 I know I've done both to SWR cabs and both cabs sound exactly the same.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Be careful here. 10's ain't 10's. As mentioned, if you put the wrong speaker in the wrong sized cab, and even a brilliant speaker will sound and perform like garbage. The speaker's Thielle Small Parameters determine the speakers ideal enclosure size, so there's no fudging it.

Assuming you can find a speaker that is happy in the size of your enclosure, you'll have to re-tune the porting. See the ports that let the air escape from the cab? They're not random. They're designed to be a certain length and width/diameter and are therefore tuned to a certain frequency. It's a very important part of the design of a vented cab and has a huge effect on how the cab will respond in the bottom end, both in sound and speaker cone excursion.

The chances of finding a speaker that likes the same cab size and porting as your existing cab are virtually nil. Generally speaking, any speaker replacement will require the cab to be retuned. It's actually not much more work to build a whole new, correctly sized and tuned, enclosure from scratch in most casesl, especially on cabs like SWR which have shelf ports instead of the round type.

The exception to this is if you buy the exact same speaker again, or get the damaged one reconed. New speakers might be hard to come by but a re-coner should be able to help you. Make sure they use genuine parts for the same reasons listed above.
  10. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Before the Fender takeover, looong before the Fender takeover, I had blown out a SWR Goliath III jr. 2x10. Under warantee and the "expert" handling of Sam Ash, it was over 10 weeks until I had a pissy fit and ended walking home with another Goliath Jr from te floor. Don't know if those speakers eve came in. And that was 10 years ago. More recently I had a warantee problem with a 350X head and heard the sad story of how and why SWR was sold. One of the issues was that they didn't have enough parts to make production runs on new products. They certainly didn't have anything left for spare parts and repairs.

Recone those speakers. The most cost effective and sonically sensible thing to do
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Zoot...are you sure that it's blown?

A few years ago, I got a great deal on a clean used Goliath II at a local shop. Two of the speakers sounded blown...raspy when you turned up the volume, etc. but fine at low volume.

Another bassist and the "bass guy" at the store, agreed...blown speakers.

When I removed the "blown" speakers to send them in for reconing, I discovered that the screw fastening the push-in terminal to the frame was loose. Ironically the same screw was used to hold the voice coil lead's ring terminal against the push-in terminal. At higher volume, the vibration jiggled the connection making the speaker sound raspy.

Turns out that three of the four speakers had loose terminal screws and tightening them made everything all better!

I later bought another used Goliath II and found more loose terminal screws.

So...check the tightness of the screw that secures the terminal to the frame (the head is on the inside of the frame)...hopefully that's the problem.

Good luck!!!!
  12. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Could save the guy some bux. In the case of my 2 Goliath II Jr's. one cab had a set of speakers were replaced by another brand speaker when I bought it so I had to buy new. 3 months to get replacements here in the US. The other cab had blown speakers (lotsa speaker fatigue) and I shipped them off to it cost less than half of what a new one would cost and I had them back in 2 weeks. :D
  13. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Getting a replacement speaker fender/swr takes an act of god these days. I actually got an SWR replacement speaker through guitar center for $99, which was a good deal. The only complication was the wait time. They told me 2 weeks and it took about 6. Still not bad for the shambles that passes for customer service at SWR.
    And to echo the sentiment already expressed here- you really don't want to throw a different speaker in there. Find a way to get it reconed or get the real deal.
    Another note, I had a speaker go fuzzy on me recently and it turned out the dust cover (?) had peeled loose of the speaker cone. It was a 40$ fix. Evidently a common problem with SWR speakers. Maybe you should have that checked?
  14. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'Blown'.

The speaker DOES work fine until you start turning it up to resonable which point it becomes 'raspy' and crap sounding.

I've taken both speakers out to inspect them, and while one sounds taught and thumpy when you tap it with your fingers...the other one makes grating noises when the cone moves in and out even slightly. I cannot see any visable tears or damage though.

I will try to locate a repair guy here in the UK and take it from there.

Thanks for all your advice...what a great Forum.
  15. Zoot

Sep 4, 2004
    Update : I cannot find anyone who can repair speakers over here in the UK. I've came across a couple of people, but they look like cowboys and proabably wont do a very good job. I have found one Shop that is attempting to get a replacement SWR speaker for me....but we'll see wether it actually happens or not.

So...I've come up with a good idea.

Im gonna rip the Amp head out of the Combo and re-house it in a bit of carpeted wood etc... Then use it to power a 4X10" cab instead of the 2x10" thats found in the Combo itself. I don't even have to use an SWR cab!!! I could pick some other brand.

What do you guys reckon???
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, fried voice-coil. That scratching noise when moving in and out by hand is the number one sign.
  17. moriartov

Jul 1, 2005
    hallo zoot!
    i have the same problem, got an used redhead(the older one)with two different speakers inside-sounds horrible...
    but i dont know which of them is the original. can you post me an picture ore an description of the original speaker? ore...
    you want to sell your working one ?
    moriartov :
  18. Mik Walker

Mik Walker Supporting Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Pretty much any decent hire company will do recones - they get through enough cones to make it worth their while having staff trained up to do this kinda work. It's not exactly rocket science. Check out SSE Hire in Birmingham for example.