Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blown Tweeter (I think?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembicfive, Feb 6, 2004.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I have a SWR Workingman Series 15 combo (with extension cab). Last night at a gig, toward the end of the night, all of a sudden a crackeling buzzing sound start to come out everytime I played a note. So I turned off the horn and as far as I could tell the crackeling was not coming out of the 15. Could it be a blown tweeter (I have no idea what one sounds like) :confused: ? I SWR WM's use a Piezo tweeter. If it is, are they easy to replace?

Thanks,
    Alembicfive

2. Tweeters aren't made to handle more than 50-80 watts so yes I would say it is possible. Replacing one is about like replacing a speaker, but I would look at the warrantee and give SWR's service department a try.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd test it in a quiet environment, first to make sure it's the tweeter.

By taking out the low end EQ, boosting the highs, rubbing your hand against the strings for string noise and playing a few harmonics you should be able to tell if it's the tweeter.

If it is the tweeter, they're super easy to replace. A screwdriver should be all you'll need. The conductors should be a plug in type so you won't even need a soldering iron.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If it is the piezo tweeter, they are very inexpensive and
    easy to replace. I think I paid $12 for a SWR Le Son
    piezo OEM replacement back in '98.

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Brotherman..I'm thinkin those were the 'good old days' when you could pick up a $12 replacement tweeter from SWR.

I don't think it'll be as easy or inexpensive now that they've gone through coorporate restructuring a couple of times since then.

6. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Thanks for the replies.........

FYI, the amp is about 4 years old.....so maybe it was time. I do play allot of slap and my Alembic has a realy biting high-end. In fact I think I started to hear that sound after a solo :bassist: I did....Hum