Blown Tweeter (I think?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembicfive, Feb 6, 2004.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I have a SWR Workingman Series 15 combo (with extension cab). Last night at a gig, toward the end of the night, all of a sudden a crackeling buzzing sound start to come out everytime I played a note. So I turned off the horn and as far as I could tell the crackeling was not coming out of the 15. Could it be a blown tweeter (I have no idea what one sounds like) :confused: ? I SWR WM's use a Piezo tweeter. If it is, are they easy to replace?

Thanks,
    Alembicfive

2. Tweeters aren't made to handle more than 50-80 watts so yes I would say it is possible. Replacing one is about like replacing a speaker, but I would look at the warrantee and give SWR's service department a try.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd test it in a quiet environment, first to make sure it's the tweeter.

By taking out the low end EQ, boosting the highs, rubbing your hand against the strings for string noise and playing a few harmonics you should be able to tell if it's the tweeter.

If it is the tweeter, they're super easy to replace. A screwdriver should be all you'll need. The conductors should be a plug in type so you won't even need a soldering iron.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If it is the piezo tweeter, they are very inexpensive and
    easy to replace. I think I paid $12 for a SWR Le Son
    piezo OEM replacement back in '98.

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Brotherman..I'm thinkin those were the 'good old days' when you could pick up a $12 replacement tweeter from SWR.

I don't think it'll be as easy or inexpensive now that they've gone through coorporate restructuring a couple of times since then.

6. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Thanks for the replies.........

FYI, the amp is about 4 years old.....so maybe it was time. I do play allot of slap and my Alembic has a realy biting high-end. In fact I think I started to hear that sound after a solo :bassist: I did....Hum