1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blown voice coils: can I fix 'em?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GabeN, Apr 14, 2009.

1. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Hey guys, I've got a sweet old Acoustic 406 2x15 under my new GK 800rb. Unfortunately I pushed it a little too hard and the speakers went out. I checked continuity over the speaker's poles and my multimeter shows no current. Can I get the speakers fixed or should I get a new set?

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    You can get the originals re-coned or go for a re cabinet tune porting job and a pair of new light weight drivers like eminence neos.
    Did you notice one blow and then the other or did you manage to blow both simultaneously?.
    Perhaps you need a mighty Acoustic 408 instead, then you can use all that lovely all tube like power amp distortion and clipping the GK 800rb
    is famous for.:help:

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Reconing is probably the best option to retain the original character of the cabinet.

Redesigning the cab for different drivers would change its tone completely. Rather than doing that, you'd be better off building a new cabinet.

4. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007