Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 9, 2006.

1. so, my speaker in my hartke 4.5xl is giving me alot of problems

its making a noize, not no noize, not a extremely loud "farting" sound or anything... not a rattle, and not exacly a buzz..

it seems to be distorting a bit... i dont know if there is something wrong with the speaker, or the cabinet or the speaker... i tried moving it around in different holes, tightening up the screws, and all sorts of other things... no visible problems on the speaker itself... i just have no clue what would make it that way..

is it blown? shot? should I order a replacement?

I actually just snagged a deal to sell this cab... but now it starts doing this, and its really killing me

any and all help will be appreciated, thanks
  2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    what kind of bass are you using?
  3. lol... yamaha rbx 270.. yes, not a great bass at all.. but its a bass..

and btw... pop and i loosened everything up, and then tightened everything up... seems to be working fine now... i think it was just moving a heck alot of air... or something... it just didnt sound right...

and now it does..

so i can sell it
  4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    cool, glad you got it fixed.

so this is litterally killing me... what the heck am i supposed to do?

pay 55 dollars and shipping to get a new speaker... but what if its something else, and not the speaker?

then, ive just invested more money than what I think the cab is worth... I just wish it were gone and i had some money
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sounds like you might have something rubbing inside the speaker gap. There's an easy way to test for this. You'll need a quiet room.

Spread you fingers evenly around the speaker cone and gently apply pressure to make the speaker suspension move. As you're moving the speaker in and out, listen for any scraping or rubbing noises. If it's smooth and quiet, chances are the speaker is OK. If you hear or feel something unusual, then there's a problem. Do this to all 4 speakers.

If you identify any suspect speakers, I'd get a price on a recone? It usually works out cheaper than a new speaker, though it might now be the case with the aluminium drivers. It's worth checking out though.
  7. I had a GK 410 cab pull the same crap on me...ended up being a bad voice coil - solution: a 65$ speaker replacement.
  8. how much is a recone?

i havent tried yet, but yeah... i think hartke replacements are 55 bucks.. which kinda sucks.... man...

i mean, i dont really know the whole thing about speakers going bad... the cab was used in my church before i bought it... thats it... with an head that put out like 160 watts at 8 ohlms... its well ready to handle that... and it was basically designed to be ran with the head i have now...

i mean, do speakers just go bad naturally? or only from mistreatment?
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have a JBL E145 that I've had since High School, so it's at least 18 years old - actually it's even older because I bought it used. It still sounds as good as the day I bought it.

My point being - Speakers don't ordinarily go bad by themselves, but sometimes mistreatment isn't obvious. For example, a speaker in a vented cab has virtually no damping at frequencies below the cab's tuning frequency. It basically flaps around freely and it doesn't take much to get it moving further than what it's suspensions is designed for. It may only have been played in church but where they feeding the cab frequencies which were too low for that cab? Has the cab been fed considerably amounts of bass boost via EQ? Who knows?

The other likely scenario os that with a relatively small wattage being used, the amp may have been pushed hard enough to introduce a clipped signal into the speakers. The rubbing/scraping I described earlier is a sign this could have been a likely scenario, resulting in a partially burnt voice coil. It's these burnt bits which get into parts of the speaker gap, prevent it from moving freely, and create unwanted noises.
  10. yeah... so i tried that last night... with the pusing in of the speakers... i heard

absolutely nothing...

maybe im just deaf, but this is getting really really annoying... i have no clue what the heck is wrong...
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This might sound silly, but since the noise disappeared for a whule then came back, I have to ask. If the noise location specific? I've been fooled before by a vibrating window pane in a particular room that sounded a lot like distortion. I chased it for hours and came up with nothing. I moved the amp into another room and bingo, distortion gone.
  12. ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    yeah, could be sympathetic resonance from something else in the room - does this happen anywhere, or just in one place?

Also, does the cab have input/output jacks in the back? Unsealed 1/4" jacks can kinda whistle if you're moving a lot of air.
  13. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Petes right, voice coil is rubbing. If you apply gentle preasure to the cone and you hear noise, coil is burned. Probably got heated and has unseated. Needs to be reconed

I wish I had a dollar for every driver I've fried over the years. But that's gotta go back to Larry Hartke for a recone job.
  14. your sure this is what it is?

cause that would really put a damper on the situation..

um... the noize is only coming form one speaker by the way...
  15. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Sorry pal, if you hear rubbing, the speaker is a gonner.

Interestingly, I worked for Larry Hartke one summer. Got to know a fair bit about speakers and especially his.

Call Hartke and they will send you a replacement.