1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BLOWTORCH OR SWOLLEN PICKLE

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bobdudeman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

Jul 23, 2011
    Alright, Say I am torn between these two and no others.
    Which is the better fuzz and why....

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I have both and prefer the pickle.
    why? because, IMO the pickle has more useable tones and sounds bigger. IMO, the blowtorch's distortion is almost too synthy/buzzy sounding.

3. Leenibs

Leenibs

Jan 27, 2013
    +1 to Johnk I've got a blowtorch and took it off my pedal board because I never could get much use out of it. Never tried a pickle tho...

4. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN
    +1 for the Swollen Pickle. It sounds great with my setup and it's very tweakable. No loss of low end whatsoever and can go from smooth and subtle fuzz to all out mayhem. Mine gets a lot of use. I've never tried a blowtorch, so I can't comment in the difference.

5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Had bad luck with the Blowtorch - and by that (for me) it's essentially a paper weight.
    I know some guys like it on here, but IMO you can find much better with a broader tonal palate for the same price range.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I've had both, ended up selling both. They are quality pedals, no doubt about that (disclaimer: big MXR fan). The BT didn't sound very good as fuzz/distortion with the gear I had at the time, but I must admit that it worked well as mild to med OD. As for the SP, I loved its massive fuzzness, but it didn't sit well in the mix, even though I tweaked and tweaked. I was playing through two 15 inchers at the time, so that could've been part of the explanation, according to TBers.

7. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I like the Blowtorch for what it does; synthy tones...

8. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Swollen Pickle all the way. use it through an Ampeg 6x10 cab. absolutely killer. not the best fuzz for stacking with other dirt, but i've never really been a fan of that anyway.

9. Never tried the Blowtorch, so can't compare. I love my Swollen Picklen, though. It took me a loooong time to adjust it to fit the band mix, but totally worth it. No low end loss, massive fuzz and still retains some articulation. Works for me. Plus, seen the faces of my bandmates every time I step on the SP is priceless.

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Apples and oranges.
    The Blowtoch is a distortion and the Pickle is a fuzz.
    That being said I like the Pickle the best, it'a a really nice fuzz if you have the patience to tweak all the controls (2 are inside the pedal). Bang for the buck it's the best fuzz one can buy IMHO. If you are looking for something milder (overdrive to distortion) look at the Pork Loin from the same company. A great pedal well liked here.