Blue Book or Pricing guide

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassnewbie, Sep 2, 2001.

1. bassnewbie

bassnewbie Guest

Aug 20, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'd like to know if there is a guide I can buy that will show you the current going rate for used basses.

It would help for when you want to buy or sell a bass.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There is a Blue Book used by stores, pawnshops, etc. but it hardly reflects reality IMO... lots of stuff is missing. Probably better off asking here, checking sold items on eBay, buying the Guitar & Bass Buyer's Guide so you at least know what retail was (I have them about six years back), check frequently, etc.

The market has been funny as far as high end gear lately. Expensive toys are the first thing to take a hit when the economy goes south;). Definitely a buyer's market.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As Brad mentioned, there's no reference like the used car market has.

What makes it even tougher is that the grading that is applied, "M/mint" "E/excellent" "VG/very good, et al, are subjective. Some places, like Elderly Instruments, Bass Palace, Bass Northwest, Bass Central, and Bass Alone, have high standards that include the action and the guts. Some only evaluate by the external cosmetics. There don't check for twisting or warpage in the neck, bad frets, or noisy electronics.

Those more critical dealers, like those I mentioned, are what I use for guidelines and lop off a little, 5-10%, because there's always a schmooze factor.
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You should check out:

nice place with info and list prices of almost any musical product in the market.......
  5. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    IMO, the pricing books out there that give prices for used gear are a complete waste of time and probably aid the retailer in shafting customers on trade-ins. I inquired at a music store about the value of an SWR studio 220 amp a few years back. They looked it up in the book and told me highest used value listed was $80 and the trade-in value was 1/2 of that. I silently laughed to myself and then listed the equipment in a paper, selling it in less than 24 hours for $550.
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was told the brand new Warwick Corvette FNA 4 I had just bought for $750 was worth less than $250. I sold it weeks later for $720 on eBay. Yes, Sam Ash uses the Blue Book to shaft the unwitting into extremely low trade values, while at the same time wanting your used gear. We can see why.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sometimes you just find stores that aren't in the know, either. I used to own a Trace Elliot amp. When it came time to dump it, I took it into a GC in Chicago. They offered me some ridiculously low price. I laughed and walked out, amp in tow.

Then, the same afternoon, I drove 1/2 hour to another Chicagoland GC, where I sold it to 'em at a price about 2/3 what I'd paid for it new, only 2 years earlier. And, they were apologetic that it wasn't more! I'm pretty sure they took a bath on it...