Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blue Flower '54RI CIJ Precisions - $439, Shipped

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bongolation, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It may not be your thing - it isn't mine - but if you're looking to get into a CIJ SCPB, I don't think you're going to get a better price on new stock than this.

Here are some better pictures.

2. Me Likes.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Trippy. :cool:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If that was the pink paisley model, I would be sorely tempted!

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They look really neat in person, but (IMHO) they play and feel like junk. Cool stage bass, but nothing I'd practice on or use in a studio.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    True, they do have a basswood body. Now if fender would make them an ash bodied bass, i'm sure it'd be much better!

7. imonfire,dude

imonfire,dude

Jan 22, 2004
    what's so bad about basswood? i dont know alot about woods, but that bass just looks awsome. it'd be fun to play in a hardcore band with that ;p

8. Daisy Rock, move over.

9. embellisher

These are reissues of colors that Fender offered in the late 60's/early 70's.

10. i am not entirely keen on the blue flower finish, but it's not that bad. and i sound awesome on that bass. i love how it plays and sounds. i am sorely tempted.

robb.

11. embellisher

I agree. A local player has one of the pink paisley ones. It plays and sounds excellent! And I like light basses, easy on the shoulders.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ah....another person who has bought into the "If it's basswood, it must be a POS" mentality.

So sad.:rolleyes:

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Technically, that bass shouldn't be called a "reissue", as the '54 P-bass was never available with that finish.

The Blue Flower and Pink Paisley "finishes" were actually wallpaper patterns, and were available on Telecaster model guitars and basses only, for a limited time in the late '60s.

14. embellisher

Hey, I said that the finish was a reissue, not the bass!:D

15. I played one of these. and personally I thought they were AWESOME sounding and playing!

The other fender P styles sucked, terribly! except for that very very orgasmic 59 RI...mmmm....!!!

But i reckon the bass guy didnt feel like setting up a bunch of fenders.

anywya. i think these really neat basses! not much of a fan of the finish, tho! :)

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Oh I know embellisher...that wasn't directed at you. :D

I'm just geeking out a bit. ;)

I need a true Fender expert to hip me on this, but as I recall I was once told (or read possibly) that not only was the finish based on wallpaper, it actually was wallpaper that was applied directly to the bass after the base coats were applied and before the nitrocellulose. Perhaps though, it was a decal (and most certainly is one today) that was made with the wallpaper as the original.

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It was indeed real paisley/flower wallpaper on the originals!

I would love one of the pink paisley Strats! Yummy!

[​IMG]

18. embellisher

I read the same thing in Guitar Player, years ago. It was wallpaper.

I want a matching pair. Pink paisley Tele and Tele bass(60's version).

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I know. I've written elsewhere about the numerous differences in some detail. This is essentially a "Sting"/'54RI with a basswood body and a different finish. BTW, there's nothing wrong with basswood other than being ugly and somewhat soft.

CIJ "reissues" are very interpretive, I suppose one could say.;)

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it me or does it seem to have holes to mount a pickguard? It's ugly, but I'd love to have one. Nothing the boys at Reranch couldn't fix I'm sure.