"Blue in Green" three 1959 recordings. Two by La Faro and one by Chambers

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by godoze, Sep 29, 2004.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually it just occured to me that there are at least two by Chambers also.

Favorites ? How do you like the treatment of the tune by the Miles sextet and by the Evans Trio? I wonder if LaFaro and Chambers ever got together ?

just curious.
  2. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    What is the first chord as played by the Evans trio? The Miles version on Kind of Blue has PC playing a G note if I remember correctly. The Real Book has a Bb Major chord of some type (#11). I'm curious why the Real Book says Bb even though the Miles version seems to be G minor something (6), although I'm not surprised if the Real Book is incorrect.

3. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    If the 1st chord of the Miles version is any indication. Paul Chambers plays Bb on kind of blue. So the Berklee student probably transcribed it this way. Which is rare for the RB. At least that's how I hear it in my memory. Bill plays G- and the story goes that Miles told him to do something with G- A7+5 and he wrote Blue and Green but got only co-composer credit for it.
  4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Maybe you have a different version of Kind of Blue than I do but PC doesn't play a Bb note on the first chord of the tune. The tune actually starts with a little intro that is the form of the tune starting on bar 2 (D minor for the whole bar) with the harmony going by twice as fast. Then when they get back to the top Miles starts playing the melody, the harmony starts going by half as fast as the intro and PC plays a G note on bar one. I agree with Patrick - it's a Gm6 or Bb maj7 (#11)/G.

5. I always sat around and thought...

THATS BbMaj7#11?

If so, I need to go back to school.

The 1st note on the Miles record (after the intro) is G. Why would the bassist play the 6th on the 1st beat of the bar???