Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blue LED's in a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by outrage, Dec 14, 2004.

1. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
  2. I have a stupid question.

How do you install those? How are they powered?

3. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    That's not a stupid question! The process is very delicate and not for the faint-hearted - especially when working on SOMEONE ELSES bass...

It's kind of a trade secret really but involves routing a very narrow channel down the edge of the fretboard. That's about 10% of the process so I'm not giving too much away there.

They are powered by a single 9v battery which, on a Jazz bass, fits nicely under the control plate. I replaced the 1st volume pot with a push/pull pot for activating the LED's.

4. I think a black bass with the hyper blues would work for me. But I would want really tiny lights, only a few mm or so.

5. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I can do smaller dots, espcecially on something like a Warwick which doesn't have front dots already. If it's on something which already has dots then I can put the lenses inside a brass ring which will make the dots smaller.

6. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I really wish someone in North America would offer this. Nothing personal (I adore Martin Sims incredible work) but shipping back and forth to the UK is outrageous. I must have spent close to $200 USD in shipping to Sims years ago.

Someone will come along. I hope :meh:

7. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I thought Martin had set up a workshop in the USA. In fact I'm sure he has because the last time I spoke to him he told me he stayed at Victor Wooten's house while he was doing it. How cool is that?!!!!!!

8. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I believe Jesse was in charge of that I think in Tennesee. Last I heard from Martin, they had discontinued that service. In fact towards the end, Jesse was simply a routing point between the US and UK.

It's such a shame since Martin is extremely helpful and fantastic at what he does. If I could, I'd send all my basses to him. Bummer !!

9. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Perhaps I'll get my green card and move to the USA! LOL

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd like to see the Jazz, but Geocities won't let me see.

11. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
  12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'd love to have blue LEDs in my Lakland, but that shipping, sheesh. I have a full set of reds in my other Lakland, that was dear!

Surely someone in the U.S. can make a go of this.

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I love LEDs. I hate you. I hate you. Ok, not really, but I wish I could afford to have LEDs put in my basses.

15. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, that is an awesome photo. Looks very cool !!