Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blue LED's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Sherlock, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario
    do blue LED's have to come installed with the bass, or can I still get some for my jazz bass............... :bassist:

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I do. This is the third thread in under a week about LEDs. Please make an effort and search through the existing threads before asking questions.

Basically, there are several alternatives. Some cost more than others.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    lol at his sig

Umm, you could get someone to cut up your bass and put them in. Might cost ye some.

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I think what he might be asking about is this: Sims Custom LED's.

I think it would be best to send your bass to them to have this done. DIY with this would probably turn into a real hack-job.

If this is not what you're talking about, then nevermind. :smug:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I suggest some people quit thinking about glowing dots impressing people, and start thinking about practice so their PLAYING impresses people. I notice that most who have inquired about the dots are quite young . . .

6. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I definitely agree, but I think there's a huge use for them on the side of the fingerboard. Adrian's Nordstrand had them, and I could definitely see, as I tried out that bass, that if one plays in a pit band or a setting with darkness during cues, it could really help. I've had that situation before at a large benefit show, and I had to plan ahead with my finger on the first note of the opener, as we started in total darkness.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    When it comes to dots on the front, I agree totally. It is all flash, but then again even without the LEDs many of us play basses that have features only designed to improve appearance.

As for side dots, I disagree. There have been numerous times in the past when I was playing fretless under less than ideal lighting conditions. In those situations, lighted side dots would have helped a bunch.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I would agree for SIDE dots as well, if there was a need. Sure, dark stages, pit use, etc. they would be a godsend. But, I'm willing to bet MOST who inquire are kids who want to look cool to their friends and never go anywhere near a dark stage.

No way I'd recommend to a student to put some device on their bass with a headstock-mounted battery pack to weigh down the neck . . . actually I recommend that many of them practice in the dark to get out of sight-dependence on the neck . . . but that's just me. ;)

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree completely. As a matter of fact, I was playing a gig this weekend, and the lighting guy was a bit inept and couldn't transition over to the strobe light very quickly from the standard color-tracs. His delay resulted in a good 5 seconds of absolute darkness on stage, and coincidentally it happened when I was playing a rather complicated run that I have a hard time playing without looking at my board. Side marker LED's would have helped out immensely.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Sad, but probably true. Of course, us grown men that do play out are also guilty of wanting to impress our friends. :D Of course, I don't have basses with lights. So, I guess I'm not as bad as I could be.

That is good advice for all of us. You have a much better stage presence if you are looking at the audience instead of your neck. I've been working on that myself, but it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow.

i hardly think it necessary or appropriate to jump on this kid just because he asked a question about led's. whatever someone's motivation is, it's hardly respectful to judge them based on their desires.

12. exactly what i would say, im not the best bassist, but ive not played that long, 3-4 years, and ive been able to play without having to look at where the frets are after a year of playing, if that . . .

13. If it's any consolation, Mark King uses LEDs, and he is hardly a hack. Just my $.02

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LED's are great for dark stages, but I'll only agree to use the side-mounted ones. The rest are a waste of cash, but if I could I'd get them, with separate switches for side and front.

Might want to check out hotdotz.com for some removable ones that don't require modification.

15. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Yea i agree. Side-mounted LED's can help you play in the dark. The fretboard mounted ones look kinda flashy for my taste and are big waste of cash. I'd rather use that money to to get better electronics or hardware.

16. They may be calling him a newb because he's 16 and had some difficulty asking his question coherently.

Thanks for your intelligent and insightful observation. :rolleyes:

However, it's a reasonable question, and JT's right that it's not fair to jump all over him about it.

Mike

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow.....some of you guys are harsh. Lay off the dude.....he wants some bling bling on his bass, so what. It doesn't mean he is some unskilled player. People have their reasons for wanting LED's. Don't be a grouch and insult someone for asking.

I played a new Jerzey Drozd the other night with blue LED's on it. That type of bass is hardly for a newbie.

-Mike

18. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Man, I'm not used to such a harsh reaction on this board. First off, I posted about a week ago about some alternative to SIMS that weren't so pricey. I'm 34, and I'm not seeking an alternative to practice!!!! I have a real problem seeing the side dots on my Spectors in a number of clubs we play at. It may be a function of I play a little lower than some, or maybe it is just my crummy eyesight/contact lenses/etc. In any regards, it is a little tricky to guess everyones motivations and call them out about it.

19. I have LEDs on my Yamaha 6-string (Hotdotz) and my Conklin 8-string (Sims).

Flashy? Of course. I want my basses to look cool (anyone who plays a 7+ string bass is probably playing at least partly for flash reasons, including myself I admit. I do use them all when required).

Practical? Definitely. I played a sight-reading theatre pit gig last year where it would have been very useful to have the lights so I could see the fret positions in my peripheral vision while reading. Particularly the bit where the dry ice was streaming from the stage into the pit...

20. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm building a bass now where i put blue leds as fret markers. Of course it's a bit flashy. However, it is my bass and I want it to look good to me. I don't care what anyone else says about it. It has been said several times in this thread that these markers can be practicle. I'm not doubting that. But I say, if you want to put LEDs in you neck, whether on the front or as markers, all the more power to you. As long as you like it. It's your bass and you need to be happy with it, not the people watching you play. And here's an idea, why not put a potentiometer into the wiring scheme so you can adjust just how bright to make the markers? I was thinking about doing this for myself.