Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blue mics?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Oct 20, 2005.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone have any experience with any of the blue mics? Ive more or less shyed away from them only becuase the store i work at doesnt carry them, but their ball line is very appealing. Im thinking of picking up a blue ball and kickball in the next month or so, anyone have any comments about either of these mics, especially the kickball?

2. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I have no experience with the Ball series, but the Bluebird is a killer vocal mic - really warm sounding.

3. A studio I have been working in has a Kickball that I have heard used on bass drums and also on several of my bass amps with excellent results. It was also used on a guitar amp that was overloading a SM-57 (really) with good results. It is on my wish list for when I start recording real drums for my cd. The same studio is using a Bluebird for voacls and the results are mixed IMO.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yea ive got a k2 for vocals right now im trying to build up my home rig to come close to what my studio has. Ive just heard good things about these mics, and for the price its hard to turn them down.

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I own the Kickball and use it for recording in my home studio. It sounds great and is affordable. I think I paid around $125 for mine. I have only used it on bass cabs so far but I definitely like the way it sounds.

EDIT: I Just wanted to add that although the Kickball is a dynamic mic, it requires phantom power to operate. FYI.

6. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Blue makes some excellent microphones, but the Ball is not one of them! It's pretty useless.

7. Kickball mic price went down to $49 from American Musical Supply...

8. there higher end stuff is lovely, the blue kiwi is a great mic but i haven't tried the cheaper ones, all the top end stuff seems to have a distinct character. normally lovely but not necessarily suitable for every situation!