Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Blue Note plays Stevie Wonder" - Bass Guitar Superstar Heaven!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I picked up this 2004 compilation album today on CD and looking through the listings - it is like a "who's who" of electric bass!! :)

So - first track is "I Wish" with Chuck Rainey !! - who plays on other tracks as well.

Second up is Will Lee, next is Abe Laboriel - other tracks have Stanley Clarke, Anthony Jackson - as well as a loads of other great instrumentalists like Charlie Hunter on 8-string guitar!!

It's a bit "smooth" in places, but always funky and all the tunes are written by Stevie from his best periods - no soppy stuff or naff tunes!! ;)

It's surely a must-have for BGers - to get all those players' styles compared on one Cd?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Do you mean this one?

Wulf

3. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - I think that review was a bit unfair - it depends what you expect - it's not really in the Blue Note Jazz tradition - but what struck me was how many great electric bass players there were on one album!!

Stanley Clarke plays some nice stuff, the Abe Laborial groove on "Boogie on.." is awesome and the Martino/Hunter duet is interesting - and the rest is good time party music - pretty funky - but maybe one only for bass guitar conoisseurs ...? ;)

As they say : "The musicianship more often than not is stellar, but nothing is groundbreaking"

But does it have to be....?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Abe Laborial, Jr. plays bass too?? Or is that a typo? I thought he was a drummer? It's definitely a who's who of bassists. Only thing is, it's just a compilation of tunes that were already done and compiled for this release. Those are not new recordings that I know of (I could be wrong). I have some of those tunes and lots of other renditions.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

I think Allmusic has a typo there.

:bag:

I'll have to check out this recording!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well it is a budget price and I didnt have any of these recordings before - I'd never even heard of Najee!!

But as you say, if it's probably only worth buying, if it's all new to you.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He's the link between Kenny Gorelick & Boney James.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I believe he and George Howard expanded on that smooth jazz sax thingy after Kenny G broke loose! ;)

9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    having worked with najee,i can tell you that in a lot of way's kenny g was fallowing him not the other way around,najee (and the late george howard)were protoge's of the late grover washington jr who was making funkey but smooth jazz record's in the 70's.imo kenny g (and clive davis)took that concept,removed the funk and made a mint

10. Bruce Lindfield

It's the funky bass lines that are the main interest for me - so that's like throwing out the baby with the bathwater!! ;)

11. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i feel you brother,but it's funny i have gigged and recorded with a bunch of "smooth jazz" over the years who in the most part wouldn't have had deal's if it wasn't for kenny g's selling like 10 million unit's plus he did/still does have vail johnson,who's a great bassist playing with him so maybe he's not all bad

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i make no apologies for liking g dog's playing on jeff lorber's wizard island :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

I listened to this again over the weekend and it's not really that good an album - mainly some nice grooves - but what fascinates me, is how all these great bass players are attracted to this kind of music...

So what is it you think, are all of us bass players seduced by funk - no matter how "lite" the musical content may be?

Or were these guys all doing it just for the money? :meh:

14. whens stevie gonna release a new album :bawl: :bawl: ..i might have to get that, herbie hancock, charlie hunter, stanley...its all too much to resist :smug: ...but knowing my luck ill have to pay $50 to get it imported here

15. Bruce Lindfield

More to the point - when is he going to release one, with some great funky grooves - rather than more drippy ballads!!?? ;)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From what I've heard-
    ...this one is supposed to be a throwback to the Talking Book/Innervisons era.
    We'll see.

As for your early comment-
    IMO, studio musicians/bassists will play 'anything'...if that means putting their stamp on something 'lightweight', so be it. They gotta eat, right?

17. hey ill play anything...even if it comes down to Britney Spears' baby one more time..shudder..but if i ever get to record anything on blue note..then bring it on..ill play my cherie amore, living for the city...especially pastime paradise :smug: ...my mates were gabba flastered when i showed them that then when realised that coolio used it for gangsta's paradise...btw, saw the weird al video collection dvd the otherday, love the film clip to ahmish paradise :smug:

18. Bruce Lindfield

It would indeed be great to have a new Stevie album like that!! :)

I was thinking more along the lines that maybe great BG players just love playing grooves and don't necessarily worry about the other "content"...?

I must say I tend to be like that - so, if I'm at a club and hear a great bass groove, it just makes me feel good and want to dance, even if the music doesn't bear up to further scrutiny, when listening "in the cold light of day" ..;)

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Talkbass is certainly a great place for tips on buying CDs and DVDs. I bought this CD after reading this thread last weekend, and the CD has been playing in my SUV ever since. Beside great bass and drum grooves, I was also really taken by the tasty guitar solo on "it's a shame". overall the entire CD is very good.
    :D

20. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    SOLD!

Yep, I genuinely think that is the case! Funk music is entilrey about pocket and groove. Playing a tight funk groove feels good in the same way as it makes you want to dance. It's wholly satisfying in an almost primal way... you just cant help but enjoy it!

I had a random jam with two rather technically proficient guitarists recently... the drummer was a rock solid player, he had a really powerful sense of groove... in one track when the guitars gave me a bit of a solo spot, I just played quarter note roots with the drums cause it felt so goddam good! That deep, tight-in-the-pocket feeling is like nothing else and funk is the music that captures it most readily (e.g. swing is just as great a feeling, but is harder to achieve), in my opinion...

waffle over :)