1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blue or ..........uh...Blue???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Aug 18, 2004.

1. I always hear comparisons between ole Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Both amazing Jazz artists , classics , you all know, so im wondering , whos your fav of the two. Who do you think put out the best stuff.

Id go with coltrane myself, love blue train and a love supreme.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'll be another one for Coltrane. I love Blue Train, Giant Steps, and Greensleeves. Then again, we could always go for "Walking", the version of which (album or otherwise, not sure -- it's mp3) which has both Miles and Coltrane on it :D.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was told there was an argument of who originally wrote Mr. PC, but I love that song. (The Coltrane Version is the only one I've heard). Also his arrangement of My Favorite Things is fantastic.

But I really like Miles.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Coltrane is my personal favourite musician...period.
    You guys into Blue Trane & Giant Steps need to get into the transitional material(A Love Supreme, Transition, etc) + the later period(Ascension, Meditations, Interstellar Space etc).
    Tunes like "Mr. PC" are great...face it, though, it's just a Blues. ;)

Miles makes my Top-10...he was definietly at the vanguard of many a shift in style. His electric stuff gets overlooked by many; I used to blow that stuff off, too...couple years ago, I re-visited most of it. Whew!