Blue or ..........uh...Blue???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Aug 18, 2004.

1. I always hear comparisons between ole Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Both amazing Jazz artists , classics , you all know, so im wondering , whos your fav of the two. Who do you think put out the best stuff.

Id go with coltrane myself, love blue train and a love supreme.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'll be another one for Coltrane. I love Blue Train, Giant Steps, and Greensleeves. Then again, we could always go for "Walking", the version of which (album or otherwise, not sure -- it's mp3) which has both Miles and Coltrane on it :D.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was told there was an argument of who originally wrote Mr. PC, but I love that song. (The Coltrane Version is the only one I've heard). Also his arrangement of My Favorite Things is fantastic.

But I really like Miles.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Coltrane is my personal favourite musician...period.
    You guys into Blue Trane & Giant Steps need to get into the transitional material(A Love Supreme, Transition, etc) + the later period(Ascension, Meditations, Interstellar Space etc).
    Tunes like "Mr. PC" are great...face it, though, it's just a Blues. ;)

Miles makes my Top-10...he was definietly at the vanguard of many a shift in style. His electric stuff gets overlooked by many; I used to blow that stuff off, too...couple years ago, I re-visited most of it. Whew!