1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blue Orleans = Adventure In Restringing

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by osciphex, Sep 4, 2002.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    So occasionally in my spare time I like to putz a around and see how much of a particular Michael Manring song I can figure out. I've fiddled around with Welcoming and Unusual Weather amoung others.

Anyway, about 30 minutes ago I think to myself "Hmm, I think I'll try to figure out some of Blue Orleans today."

"This tuning page says my highest string is going to be tuned to C#... that's pretty far away from the G I have it at right now... should I go up or down?"

And of course, being as ignorant as I am of string tolerances, I chose to go up.

::crank crank crank::
    "B!"
    ::crank crank crank::
    "C!"
    ::crank crank POW!!!::::
    "Nooooooo!!"

So I'm minus a G string now. I suppose I should replace the whole set seeing as they've been on there since i bought the instrument (actually I posted about that on this very board a long while ago.)

I was considering switching to a lighter gauge of strings from my standard fender strings, but doing so would require paying someone to setup my neck, and that I dont wanna do.

Anyway, is it ok to just leave the thing sitting for a few days? I'm not gonna twist the neck am I(now that it's minus a string)?

thanks,
    Scott

PS. So whats with that high tuning on Blue Orleans and similar songs? Does one simply use incredibly light strings for that or did I misinterpret the tuning?

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Scott,

I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that the tunings page on my site doesn't mention that I use very light gauge strings on some of my basses. I'll correct that. The tuning for "Blue Orleans" is quite high and I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it with regular gauge strings. The set I use is D'Addario XL280.

It's probably not a good idea to leave the G string off your bass for too long unless it has a composite neck. I'd guess that a few days would be fine, but you might want to consult an expert to be sure. If you're interested in experimenting with extra light strings I think it's smart to set up a bass specifically for this. In the meantime, you can try using a capo to get an idea of what higher tunings are like.

Thanks so much for your interest!

3. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Actually I knew well that you used very light strings, I was simply over zealous given my previous success tuning to CGDA. I think I've learned a nice lesson about string tension after this... ;^)