Blue Orleans = Adventure In Restringing

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by osciphex, Sep 4, 2002.

1. osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    So occasionally in my spare time I like to putz a around and see how much of a particular Michael Manring song I can figure out. I've fiddled around with Welcoming and Unusual Weather amoung others.

Anyway, about 30 minutes ago I think to myself "Hmm, I think I'll try to figure out some of Blue Orleans today."

"This tuning page says my highest string is going to be tuned to C#... that's pretty far away from the G I have it at right now... should I go up or down?"

And of course, being as ignorant as I am of string tolerances, I chose to go up.

::crank crank crank::
    ::crank crank crank::
    ::crank crank POW!!!::::

So I'm minus a G string now. I suppose I should replace the whole set seeing as they've been on there since i bought the instrument (actually I posted about that on this very board a long while ago.)

I was considering switching to a lighter gauge of strings from my standard fender strings, but doing so would require paying someone to setup my neck, and that I dont wanna do.

Anyway, is it ok to just leave the thing sitting for a few days? I'm not gonna twist the neck am I(now that it's minus a string)?

PS. So whats with that high tuning on Blue Orleans and similar songs? Does one simply use incredibly light strings for that or did I misinterpret the tuning?
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Scott,

I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that the tunings page on my site doesn't mention that I use very light gauge strings on some of my basses. I'll correct that. The tuning for "Blue Orleans" is quite high and I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it with regular gauge strings. The set I use is D'Addario XL280.

It's probably not a good idea to leave the G string off your bass for too long unless it has a composite neck. I'd guess that a few days would be fine, but you might want to consult an expert to be sure. If you're interested in experimenting with extra light strings I think it's smart to set up a bass specifically for this. In the meantime, you can try using a capo to get an idea of what higher tunings are like.

Thanks so much for your interest!
  3. osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Actually I knew well that you used very light strings, I was simply over zealous given my previous success tuning to CGDA. I think I've learned a nice lesson about string tension after this... ;^)