Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blue Oyster Cult and where to start

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by vicd, Aug 20, 2004.

1. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Any suggestions where to start with BOC? I've only got their greatest hits.
    What are the great non-hit tracks I should be looking for? What album should I buy first?
    Saw the video for "Burnin' for You" last night and it made me want to delve deeper.
    Thanks

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I say buy the one that has the most cowbell...

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i say get the extra terrestrial live disc - good long versions of black blade and veteran of the psychic wars.

of course agents of fortune and fire of unknown origin are great representations of their work.

i also really like imaginos, a newer disk with some guest performers-iirc joe satriani is on that disk.

4. i say get a live album that includes "Nosferatu" . Once you hear BOC live youll never wanna hear studio again.

5. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks much. That's cool about the live stuff. I love the live stuff.

6. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    If I'm not mistaken, Will Ferrell got his cowbell outfit straight from the "Burnin' For You" video. Dig the zebra pants and head band on the drummer too.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    History shows again and again that... Mike Watt was in BOC?! :confused:

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Watt? hehe :D

On topic, I feel a duty to represent the oldschool BOC fans and say the first 4 studio albums were their best work.

BOC (self-titled)
    Tyranny & Mutation
    Secret Treaties
    Agents of Fortune

and if you can find it, the best live BOC I've ever heard was on the King Biscuit Flower Hour circa 1976...??? It was from the Agents of Fortune tour. If anyone knows where to find a copy of that, please let me know!!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I just think threads like these are funny, "Hey Mike Watt (AND ONLY MIKE WATT because it's in his forum), what Blue Oyster Cult albums should I get. :meh:

Weird.

10. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I asked it because Watt, Minutemen and fIREHOSE have a long history of playing BOC covers and he has talked about them being one of his all-time favorite bands. Sorry to waste your time.
    I guess I won't ask about CCR.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's cool, I didn't know Watt was such a fan. They are pretty cool.

I was going to start a Electric Light Orchestra thread here, but that's a different story all together.

12. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Get a record called "live 1967", it's hard to find but worth it!

13. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    bump

14. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

my favorite is "tyranny and mutation" but I also like the first album, "secret treaties," "on your feet..." and most of "agents of fortune." I lost track of them pretty much after that. me and d. boon liked them a lot when we were teenagers. remember, I'm fortyseven now. joe and albert bouchard (the original rhythm section) are friends of mine now, great peeps.

on bass, watt

15. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks much.
    You're never to old for BOC!

16. vicd

vicd

Jul 29, 2004
    St. Petersburg, FL
    PS: Just read about the Petra Haden "Who Sell Out" record (which Amazon.com gives you credit for coming up with the idea). What a great idea. Can't wait to hear it.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'd just like to second their first album :smug:

18. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    My favorite that I've heard is Secret Treaties.

19. olie

olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    Tyranny & Mutation - Awesome stuff!!