1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blue Pickguard for Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roove, Apr 29, 2009.

1. roove

roove

Dec 4, 2008
    Hey all,
    My first post and hopefully someone can help me here.

I have an '08 Black Precision Bass with maple neck. Ever since I got it back in January I've been looking for a solid light blue pickguard to replace the white one it came with.
    The only place that I found that made them was wdmusic, but it just wasn't the right shade of blue. After I bought it and replaced it I found out it was too dark, opaque and with black it didn't look that great (for my taste of course). The others they have are either mirror or tortoise, which I'm not interested in.

After much much research I haven't been able to find a single place that makes them, all I get are recommendations to paint it myself (which I've tried with terrible results). The other option they give me is to get a clear pickguard and paint it as well, but before I drop more money into something I'd have to paint myself I come here to see if anyone knows where I could get it.

The shade of blue I'm looking for is Lake Placid Blue, or any other light blue that is similar to it. If anyone has any idea, please let me know!!! :help:

Thanks!

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    What paint type did you use?... airbrushing might turn out best I would think

3. roove

roove

Dec 4, 2008
    I used Krylon Fusion, which is made for painting plastic. Problem is I suck at painting and it got streaks all over and just looked extremely amateur. :(