1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blue Ray benefit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Oct 17, 2009.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I've a DVD player at home that I use primarily to watch Concert DVDs, I have a good collection of titles.

The setup is as follows: the signal goes to my TV (both audio and video) and there's also a digital output that I send directly to my hi-fi stereo. When I watch a DVD I silence the TV and enjoy hi quality sound through my chain.

I was wondering what would be the benefit to switch to a BlueRay platform and what I could "gain" in terms of experience as I watch concert on Blue Ray. Any significant pro?

2. Pros of BluRay are only seen with a FULL HD TV and/or a 7.1 channel surround sound system.

If I'm wrong feel free to prove it, that's just what I have gathered.

3. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    You don't really need the 7.1 surround but you do need a HD ready TV. But if it's just concerts your watching it might not make too much difference.

4. Assuming you have an HD TV, only better picture quality.

With your current setup you wouldn't have any advantage in audio. Bluray disc does have uncompressed audio for movies, but you would only hear it from a Bluray disc. Not from your current DVD's, in a Bluray player. The Bluray player will only play the format that was recorded on the DVD. However, the Blueray player will upscale the picture quality to 1080p.

Also, if you run the Bluray player into the TV first, then use the digital out to the receiver you would not get the uncompressed audio format of Bluray. The digital out on most, if not all TV's will only output stereo. You would have to run the Bluray player into an HDMI capable receiver, then to the TV to get 1080P and the uncompressed audio.

Some Bluray players do have stereo analog output, but I'm not certain if is would pass the uncompressed audio to your receiver. "I think" using the analog outputs on the bluray player, your receiver would have to be capable of the decoding. You might want to look into that. I may have it backwards.

So, in short. With your current setup, only better picture quality, assuming you have an HD TV. Using the output on the TV would only be stereo and cancel out the uncompressed benefits of Bluray audio.

Unless I'm wrong about which does the decoding (bluray player or receiver) when using the analog outputs on the Bluray player. If the Bluray player does the decoding, it may be beneficial to you, but only from a Bluray disc. In that case, you could run the video via HDMI to the TV, then the audio to the receiver via RCA jacks.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    all i have to say is APPLE=fail

no BR and no HDMI on anything. :meh:

6. How does Apple have anything to do with this?

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    because apple doesn't do blue ray and hdmi. i've been waiting.

other computers have BR drives and hdmi outs

8. But honestly not that many computers have them.

I wouldn't say that there is enough demand for that sort of thing.

Maybe in the next few years

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I rip BR disks to a USB 1TB drive on the PC I built. Then I play them back with Western Digital WD TV through my HT system. The drive wasn't expensive even when I got it a while back.

Yay, Mac.
    :D

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    At least one person wants it.

:bag:

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, no kidding.. makes me ashamed of being an apple fanboi :D

apple can be so behind in the times.

brad, why do i hate america? LOL :D:p

12. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Thanks for all inputs on the technology... it seems I'm not ready to step up to it...I'm happy camper with what I've got ! :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well , to me the idea of Hi Def TV and Blu Ray is to get the cinematic experience in your home and that means having at least a 40" HD TV - there's no point if you are looking at small computer screens.

Also the way people sit and watch a movie means the Hi Def thing is totally relevant - whereas most people sit close to their computer and view it in a different way...?

So typically you will have your home cinema style TV in front of the sofa/couch - which is where Blu Ray discs come in - while the laptop/computer sits on a desk - 2 different things!

(Unless you are a student living in one small room/flat!! :p)

14. My laptop has an HDMI out, and I added the Blu-Ray drive. The system has a native rees. of 1920x1200, so the BR drive seemed only natural!

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Home theater PCs have been around for a few years.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Just watch a Mac commerical, that should cheer you up.
    :D

Macs are cool but the superiority complex is pretty funny. They're not superior in every aspect. Oops, I've said too much.
    :bag: