1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blue Steel NPS compared to Dunlop Super Bright nickel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dave M, Apr 3, 2018.

1. I've already searched a bit, so here goes:

I've come to like the Blue Steel NPS. I'm curious how the Dunlop Super Bright Nickel compares, in either an active or passive (read: P-bass). Anyone have direct experience with both?

Also, what else out there is very close to the Blue Steel NPS in terms of sound and feel?

Thanks.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Since we're talking nickel strings, are you familiar with D'Addario XLs nickels? I can't speak to the Blue Steel, but the Dunlop strings were much lower tension than the XLs. I play kind of hard so the Dunlop were too floppy for me. But I'm an outlier. Don't take that as a knock on the Dunlop. They just didn't work for me. But if you know how the tension of the XLs compares with the tension of the Blue Steel, you might be able to compare by association.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. I've used D'Addario XL nickels a few times. Nothing really "wrong" with them, but nothing I cared for - that I can remember. I haven't used them in a long time.
    I suppose I could compare tension of the XLs and BSs, but I don't see a reason to. Reason being: even if I had numbers on tension, and also was familiar with each one's stiffness (and sound, and feel under the fingers), I'm not sure I'd still have something to care about WRT the XLs.

4. Bumping this up to see if there are more comments.

Also, I'll toss DR Sunbeams or Nickel Lo-Riders into the mix to see if anyone could comment on either of them WRT the Blue Steel NPS, etc.