Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blue Steel or whatever I have

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Piezoman, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I need new strings even though mine are still pretty live. I need some advanced knowledge though. Thnx.

Right now on my bass, I have a set of D'addrio's. (I think). I got these because I broke my friends strings before I bought it from him.

He got a new spector and he has always used blue steel stings. He says these are better but I'm not sure. Are they?

I like mine pretty kule now but could there be anything better about them aside from theyre $25 more than mine.

2. i swear by my Blue Steels. I don't, however, have very much experience with other strings (why take copper when you can have gold?), so i can't really answer your question. all i can tell you is that, indeed, blue steels are "kule".

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Some strings offer greater tension and some may consider them better because of that. They all sound different, some may think one brand is better because of that. Your buddy may think Blue Steels are better because they're expensive. That doesn't necessarily make them better. Blue Steels are good strings. I've used them with pretty good results. I've also used D'addario, Elixir, Ken Smith and many others with varying results

For instance, on my Moon, Elixir's sound great. I put Elixirs on my Brubaker and they sounded like crap, so, I put D'adddarios on the Bru and they sound great. I've used Ken Smiths on the Moon and they sounded great but sound like crap on my Status. I put D'addario's, Elixirs and Ken Smith's on my Status, again crap. I put a set of Blue Steels on the Status and it was perfect.

In short, it depends, sometimes, on the bass but mostly preference. D'adarrio's are good strings as are Blue Steels. IME, neither is really better.

My current top 4 fave strings are (as mentioned):

Elixir
    Ken Smith
    DM Blue Steel
    D'adarrio (only on the Brubaker)

Musician's Friend sells Ken Smith's from $13.99 and up. They're great strings. Do a search on their site and save a bundle of $$$$$.

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I wasnt aware of the blue steel's being gold. Gold is supposed to pickup better or something. I guess I'll go with your advice on try em all out. Thnx

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Blue Steels aren't gold at all. I think he was just using the copper vs gold thing as an analogy. Trust me, ;) I'm a string junky (I have about 17 unopened packs laying around the house right now, literally.) Blue Steels are good strings but not necessarily the best. All of the aforementioned and plenty of others are great too.

6. Yea, I completely agree with what you guys are saying. Strings are like clothes in a sense. Not everyone can look good in that popular stylish shirt. My friend put Blue Steels on his Warlock, and no joke, it would sound better if he crapped on the fretboard. I'm one of those guys that keeps bouncing around brands, seeking for the wisdom(lol).

Personally, I'd tell you to check out Ernie Ball Super Slinkie strings, they're cheaper than Blue Steels, and in my opinion, they've gone great on each of the basses I played them on.

7. interesting that you should suggest Super Slinkies...because i gave em a try a while ago, and i was thoroughly unimpressed with them...

differend strokes for different folks i guess