Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blue steel silkwinding?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Hi guys!

Can anyone tell me if Dean Markley Blue steels have a white (silverlike) silkwinding. I have a set of strings on my old bass, and don't remember what they are but my guess is blue steels.

Thanks! :)

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep, they're sort of silvery white

3. Thanks! :) I think I'll try and revive them with some alcohol.

4. Yikes!! I've just tried the Blue Steels on my Stingray, and I must say I was surprised how much I didn't like the sound! They've been sitting on my old bass for 3 years so they weren't bright but not dead either (I've not played that bass much since the Stingray came into my world!). They just had a very unpleasant midrange honk to them, that I actually thought was due to my old bass, but the new one got it too with these strings. Is this a fair judgement, or does a string change midrange sound over time, and not only loose brightness?

5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah it's always something. I also tried them on my SR5 and I did like them. I found them to be powerful sounding. To be honest I really haven't found the string for me. I haven't tried them all but I'm still searching. Here is the list of strings I've tried:
    Rotosounds swing66
    DR highbeams and Lowriders
    Ken Lawrence Burners
    Bluesteels
    LaBelle flatwounds
    boomers
    Ah well, the search goes on.

6. Sounds like we're in the same spot! So far I like DR Fatbeams the best. You should really try them. The best describtion is Marus Millers in the ad: "Fatter, deeper and smoother" (compared to the Hi-beams that is). Slowounds are good too, but a little blurred in the mids i think. How did you like the Rotosounds? Used to be my string years ago, but haven't tried them on my SR. Going to try the TI Powerbass soon.
    (BTW, I use the bridge position for the PU)

Cheers

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That sounds like a good one to try. I like the Roto's. That's what's on there now. They just have a little too much top end zing. So the Fat Beams being smoother might be the ticket. The problem I had with DR in the past was inconsistency. More than once I got a pack with what sounded like a dead string in it. I'm also probably going to try some ground wound strings hoping they'll give me the round wound sound with a smoother top end. I also like the bridge position (less honk but still sizzles).