Blue steel silkwinding?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Hi guys!

Can anyone tell me if Dean Markley Blue steels have a white (silverlike) silkwinding. I have a set of strings on my old bass, and don't remember what they are but my guess is blue steels.

Thanks! :)
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep, they're sort of silvery white
  3. Thanks! :) I think I'll try and revive them with some alcohol.
  4. Yikes!! I've just tried the Blue Steels on my Stingray, and I must say I was surprised how much I didn't like the sound! They've been sitting on my old bass for 3 years so they weren't bright but not dead either (I've not played that bass much since the Stingray came into my world!). They just had a very unpleasant midrange honk to them, that I actually thought was due to my old bass, but the new one got it too with these strings. Is this a fair judgement, or does a string change midrange sound over time, and not only loose brightness?
  5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah it's always something. I also tried them on my SR5 and I did like them. I found them to be powerful sounding. To be honest I really haven't found the string for me. I haven't tried them all but I'm still searching. Here is the list of strings I've tried:
    Rotosounds swing66
    DR highbeams and Lowriders
    Ken Lawrence Burners
    LaBelle flatwounds
    Ah well, the search goes on.
  6. Sounds like we're in the same spot! So far I like DR Fatbeams the best. You should really try them. The best describtion is Marus Millers in the ad: "Fatter, deeper and smoother" (compared to the Hi-beams that is). Slowounds are good too, but a little blurred in the mids i think. How did you like the Rotosounds? Used to be my string years ago, but haven't tried them on my SR. Going to try the TI Powerbass soon.
    (BTW, I use the bridge position for the PU)

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That sounds like a good one to try. I like the Roto's. That's what's on there now. They just have a little too much top end zing. So the Fat Beams being smoother might be the ticket. The problem I had with DR in the past was inconsistency. More than once I got a pack with what sounded like a dead string in it. I'm also probably going to try some ground wound strings hoping they'll give me the round wound sound with a smoother top end. I also like the bridge position (less honk but still sizzles).