Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blue steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punter105, Jun 17, 2002.

1. i have got dean markley blue steel nickel plated strings. they are medium light and they give a nice clean sound. i was wondering if the sound gets cleaner as u lighter or heavier. i like to play punk music so what brands of strings are the most clean sounding

2. Punter, I have the 40-100 guage set on my Jackbass; I think that's the medium light set. They've been on about six months. I love 'em. They get mellower as they get older as opposed to just dying on you. Six months and they still sound good. I want to try a different set, but, I'm really happy with these. Can't justify the G.A.S. for new strings.

Enjoy them.

Mike J.

3. I just put on some Blue Steel Mediums .50-105 gauge last weekend. They sounded VERY bright and clean...a bit too much to the point where I missed the old original strings. Still I know that in time they'll dull and dirty some and I'll get that familiar sound from em, if not better. I still wanna try some D'Addario XLs, Slowounds and some Prisms too, but these Blue Steels are more than adequate.

4. Jazzbassist, the D'Addario slowounds are also excellent strings. I find that they're similar to the Blue Steeles, but, have a little more midrange and overall umph! I have the Blues on my Jackbass, and the slows on my Ibanez. One word that applies to both strings is: balanced.

Mike J.

5. jimothy

jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    I have Blue Steel Medium Lights .45 .65 .80 1.05 on my JackBass and they kick butt.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use Blue Steels on some of my basses, and for the first few days they are too bright (for my taste), but after a couple of days they sound great and stay sounding good far longer than most other strings IMHO.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like Michael Jewels and Slowdown, I'm a fan of the Blue Steels... I tried them, (at Michael's suggestion when I got my Jack Casady :) ), and got such an excellent deal, that I ended up buying 6 sets! They work well on the Casady as well as the P-Bass... I just changed out both basses after having the strings on for better than 8 months, (keep 'em wiped down and they stay sweet for that much longer)...

I'm with Slowdown on the 'too bright for the first few days'... Next time, I'll swap 'em out at least a coupla days before a gig!

-robert

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I've been using Blue Steels for more than 4 years because they give me what you call "clean sound" for more time, 6 to 8 months depending on use and how clean I keep 'em, than other strings I tried in the past, like D'addario and Ernie Ball.

I agree on what you said about the "first days sound", too brigth for my taste, but after one week the get warmer and the sound is awesome.

PS. I don't have a Jak bass :D :rolleyes:

9. Yeah, that's my experience too. They're pretty peaky the first week and them settle in just nicely. And boy, do they last - definitely the best life expectancy of any string I've used.

I did give the D'Addario Slow-wounds a go, and did like the sound first up, but found they mellowed out to quickly. Was having to change strings twice as often as I do now.

Hamish.