Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blueberry Hill's Roscoe Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Oct 24, 2004.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
  2. That quilt is insane!!!

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, that's pretty differnet for a Roscoe. Do you think this is a one-off or is Roscoe going to start making multi-piece tops regularly?

B.H.B. has some really interesting tops being put on Roscoes from the looks of the site:

Pink ivorywood (I've only seen Alembic use it as a top wood)
    [​IMG]

Tiger myrtle
    [​IMG]
    And this Cocobolo top is REALLY wicked:
    [​IMG]

I really want the SKB3006 on his site though-it's really classy.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You guys left out the nutso burl imbuya LG on the page! So much figure it made me nauseous just looking at it...actually, my wife is pregnant and I've got sympathetic nausea...[makes ralphing noise].

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've seen all of these basses at his shop the other day. They all look great. The one up top with the madrone burl looks cool. The main reason he did it this way is that the maple he used wasn't wide enough for a body so the best way to use it is to put a wedge shape piece of wood in to widen it. The contrast between the two woods came out great. He's now working on what I believe he's going to call the signature series based on the new century body style. These will be very custom, multi-laminate instruments with a multilam neck that has a wedge shape of dark wood like walnut and wenge down the middle along with the usual purpleheart. i just saw the first one which was a 7 string and it looked incredible.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the great comments, guys! :D I'm trying to reserve not only the most brilliantly figured tops for the Roscoes that will come through Blueberry Hill, but also try to do as many unique, one-offs as possible. It might be a bit risky, but if you're looking for a true "one-of-a-kind", it's the only way to go! ;)

Also, many of the basses that have been referenced above will more than likely feature the new neck options that Peter Parker mentioned. A couple will have wenge center strips instead of purpleheard, and one or two will probably end up with the new multi-lam neck...see photo below. This is the Bolivian Rosewood/Rosita wedge neck, if you were wondering what the two dark wood species were inbetween the maple. ;) I'm really glad to hear that you guys are digging the new bodies....I really appreciate the feedback. :hyper: :)

7. Great! I was wondering when Keith would add some more custom options to his lineup. This is great to see!

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Fantastic looking basses!!!

I believe I was the one that got Keith going on the Wenge idea. About 1-1 1/2 yrs ago, I talked to Keith about having him build me a LG 3000 with a Bubinga top and I wanted a Wenge fb and Wenge strip down the neck instead of the Purpleheart. He liked the idea so much that he actually did go out and purchase the Wenge to try it out but, I ended up not going with the project. I still would love to have a Wenge fb and center strip on one, and actually would love to have a Wenge top to boot.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That maple/madrone topped one just knocked me out when I saw it!!!! Jay, you are really upping the anti on the Roscoe front. Great stuff man!

10. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Wow, that Coco-Bolo top is just killer! Somebody's going to have a nice'un when that baby's done ;)

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I talked to Keith about the Wenge idea on the neck and board, and he said he wasn't opposed to it. I decided to go with a different bass instead of having him build me one, but I would love to have one with that combination at some point.

12. Mmmm...Cocobolo....

Here's an older pic of my JAF Eidas body (with Cocobolo top and back). I just received the completed bass last Friday, so hopefully I'll have some new pics to post soon...

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Yikes! That Quilt is simply off the charts! That is going to be AMAZING! I hope it gets a Birsdseye Maple Fingerboard!

14. I've seen a few other Roscoes like that over the years, so it's not an entirely new thing. I always just assumed that for those, Keith had run across a killer piece of bookmatched wood that just wasn't quite wide enough for a top...

Mike

15. Here's my Roscoe fretless with a cocobolo top.

I think Jay has me beat on the "killer" factor!

Jay, will that be an SKB 6 or a 5?

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that quilt is off the charts! and that is exactly what happened.. keith had that piece not quite big enough for a standard top, so he laminated... he did it before with a piece of Afezelia burl...

17. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    My LG 3005 that I bought new two years ago and later sold to finance my F Bass had a three pc. Afzelial Burl top. It was very well done with strips of Maple in betweeen the middle strip for the same reason of not enough wood to do a two pc. I thought it looked fantastic!! Here is a link to pictures of it: http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

By the way, that Quilt Maple top in the picture above is by far the best looking Quilt I have ever seen.

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    That's the one, Pistoleroace.... nice!

19. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    Still waiting for mine...

1 1/2 months late...
    2 1/2 months longer than I expected...

:meh:

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

And so is the problem of ordering a Roscoe...........