Bluegrass electric bass materials?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mnormand, Mar 2, 2005.

1. mnormand

Mar 2, 2005
    I've talked my 45yr brother into buying an beginner electric bass and small amp to join in our bluegrass jams. Does anyone know of any vhs or dvd material especially catering to bluegrass electric bass? All we play is bluegrass.

I would love to see him play a standup acoustic, but we'll start with this for now. He has no music experience whatsoever, but he should be able to pick this up ok.

(these forums are great!) :hyper:
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd recommend checking out some of the more acoustic music oriented net-stores out there like Folk of the Wood or Janet Davis music.. May find something on there..

I-V, man... All he needs to know to get started..

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Check out Homespun Videos. They do some EXCELLENT releases for acoustic-related topics.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What's up Adron??? How're things??

5. I'd get him a basic beginning bass book so he can learn basic hand positions, where the notes are on the neck and simple scales. Roots, and 5ths so he can oompah. Otherwise, sitting in a jam is the best way for him to learn. There's nothing quite as satisfying as trying something new and actually being able to do it in a group. He'll learn fast.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I started out playing bluegrass (1978), I only played bass guitar. I just got the Oak Publications book "Bluegrass Bass" and went cover to cover.
  7. There is a book by I believe Mel Bay called Country Bass or something that has some bluegrass type chord progressions which can be used for electric and upright. There are some bluegrass bassists out there that use electric, such as John Cowan and the son of Earl Scruggs.

I would suggest that you put some felt under the strings at the bridge, as it will cut down on the sustain a bit. Most bluegrass jams will allow an electric bass to join in the jam. I sometimes will bring my electric to rehearsals when I don't want to lug my big bass.

In any case, playing the I-V and I-III is helpful, just chart it out for him on the finger board and then learn a few runs here and there.