1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bluegrass section?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by M Ramsey, Aug 23, 2007.

1. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Folks,

I appreciate all the efforts put forth to separate the many different playing styles of bass here on Talkbass. It is the first site I check every AM.

Would it be too much to ask if you could make a dedicated Bluegrass category and a dedicated Rockabilly section? I know these genres two cross paths somewhat, but there's not very much slap technique used in current bluegrass playing. Currently there is a jazz technique section and an Orchestral technique section, since there is considerable differences to those two styles.

I have no problem with the rockabilly players what so ever. But, I think there'd be more participation by the bluegrass crowd if these two genres were not placed together.

I know there are tons of the players in the bluegrass community who lurk and it may be a way for them to participate more and help newbies to that genre on a higher level. This, in turn, could potentially generate more business for Arnold, Bob Gollihur, Upton and the other fine sponsors you have.

Thanks, again, for all that you do to provide this site. It has expanded my knowledge of my favorite instrument.

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Well said Mike.

I've been thinking along the same lines since the two-headed category began. Even though I'm a bluegrass player I hardly ever enter that sub-heading because its all about Rockabilly.

I would definitely be more inclined to peruse the section if they were divided.

Thanks for broaching the subject.

3. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I am in favor of a separate Bluegrass section, although I am not sure it will generate a whole lot more traffic. I think many bluegrass bass players are spending time at another site.

Nevertheless, the mix of bluegrass and rockabilly has not been appealing to me. :bag:

4. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    +1 for the separate Bluegrass section. Nothing against our Rockin' brothers & sisters, but them guys got drums - and tatoos!

5. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    +1 for more bluegrass posts!

speaking of which, anyone else headed to NW String Summit this weekend? FESTIVAL TIME!!!!

6. AXNellie

AXNellie

Aug 21, 2007
    Canton, NY
    +1 again for a separate Bluegrass section. We have more fun than people should!

7. I play Bluegrass, and I slap. I also swing it, pizz it, & soon hopefully, I'll be bowing it. I also read the Jazz, & Classical sections and for that matter check out all the sections on talk bass including the bass guitar forums. There's loads of useful info there. I don't think we need to break into more sub-genre's. We need to get busy becoming the best musicians we can be and have as much fun doing it as possible. My 2 cents worth.

8. +1 . . .Well, imho, it's sure worth a try . . . why not put out the word & see what happens ???

Several of us from "another" site do lurk over here . . . but . . . are somewhat reluctant to post/contribute due to what has been perceived (by several of us over there) as a less than friendly "attitude" toward our genre in general and our instruments in particular. So, we lurk to learn . . . but, seldom, if ever, make any attempt to contribute where we do not feel welcome.

I speak only for myself - but - with confidence that my observations are shared by several.

*Note: btw, my observations are most certainly not directed specifically toward this (BG/RaB) forum . . . we enjoy the comradery with all our lami-pizz bros . . . ;)

9. I think it's a good idea. It's true that a lot of Bluegrass guys are mostly hanging at another site but that doesn't keep us from checking in at this site from time to time. I like Rockabilly and enjoy reading about the techniques and gear associated with that form of music, but I don't ever plan on playing in a rockabilly band. Bluegrass is where my heart is and is mainly what I'm interested in reading about.

Besides, I don't have the wardrobe or hairstyle to play rockabilly.;)

10. Fat.Mike

Fat.Mike

Dec 15, 2006
    Tulsa, Ok
    +1 to everyone above!

11. skidude

skidude

Aug 15, 2007
    Leland, NC
    +1 for a separate section. Of course, it's all good reading.

12. bluegrasscat

bluegrasscat

Aug 9, 2006
    SoCal
    a Bluegrass section would be fine. even though i would still prefer B B Place.. hands down.. talk bass does have some serious info, and lots of people giving all types of info.. which is great! and i will still visit alot.. but for bluegrass, i'll hit the other..... rockabilly and bluegrass are close but not that close..

13. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I see no reason not to have a dedicated bluegrass forum. Back when we made the combined forum I was afraid to split things up too much, if the traffic levels for each forum would be too low to attract posters. But it's clear each forum will be able to hold its own :) Thanks for the suggestion.

14. bassectomy1

bassectomy1

Aug 29, 2007
    I'm all for a bluegrass section. Bring it on!!!!

bassectomy1