Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bluegrass technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mike0033, Oct 12, 2003.

1. I was wondering how to play a song by the Big Wu called "Bloodhound." The song sounds pretty easy and I can play the roots but I get stuck in between them. I would really like to nail this song because I think it will help me in figuring out future songs with similar feel. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know Big Wu's "Bloodhoud", but typically bluegrass lines rarely stray from the root and 5th, in quarter notes. So a four beat measure would be R, 5th, R, 5th. Now if you have a chord change in a measure, just substitute that chord's root or 5 where it falls in that pattern.

Does that help at all?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, blew grass.

-RH

3. There are also other ways to connect the chords besides just 1 and 5. For instance, sometimes, if your going 1 up to 4, you can play 1, 2, 3, 4, or 1, 2, b3, 3, 4. Half notes, quarter, notes, eighth notes, whatever you want. But typically, keep it simple, and stick to the 1 and the 5. ;)

4. Thanks for the help guys. I tried playing along with the song using the roots and fifths but I still just couldn't quite get it to sound right. I am going to keep at though until I get it down. Thanks again.

5. OK everyone stop worrying, I got it now.

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Right-o. I was going to mention "walking" up or down to a chord tone, but didn't want to get nuts right away. Realizing how each chord's scale intertwine on the fretboard gives you pretty much unlimited possiblities. Just land on chord tone where it counts and your golden.

Cool!

-RH