Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by fretless5, Apr 7, 2001.

1. I have been playing BG for 25+ years (jazz, blues, rock), and have been working on my DB for about a year. I am not putting in the time I need for arco, concentrating on pizz. Now I have the chance to audition for a new Blugrass group here in town and have really no clue as to what I need to look at as far as that style.

Can anyone (PLEASE) steer me towards a good book or website to get me going? I like the music but am not a huge fan. I think the only cd I have that would even be close has Edgar Meyer playing on it- and I am not anywhere near his depth and talent (DUH!!!!!).
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Fretless5, I'm pretty much in the same situation. I can tell you that you can find some killer deals on Ebay. I've picked up several Bluegrass "greatest hits" and box sets, including Bill Monroe for next to nothing. It's a quick way to amass a good tune base for learning the standards.
  3. Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Yeah that is pretty funny. If they think bluegrass is bad for that stuff, they should hear some of the Irish folk/sea songs I've been working on with a trio. I think bluegrass was derivative of lots of that music anyway. Somebody constantly being hung, robbed, otherwise killed and ALWAYS drunk...
  5. wildbill4499

May 29, 2001
    dalton ga
    Jason is right. The only real way to get into the BG mood is to go to a festival or local jams.

Some one is always looking for a DB to back them up and it is a ball to play and get in to the music.

As far as records or cd's go I would also recommend any of the older Flatt and Scruggs stuff.

By the way did any of you know that Earl Scruggs orgiginally played a DB.

Bluegrass is played from the heart though, and to me it would seem very difficult to play it with out a true appreciaton of it, and it' origins.

P. S. lol better learn to play lots in A,B, Bb and D