Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bluegrass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 3, 2005.

1. I've never really listened to much bluegrass but I'm always wanting to hear different styles of music. Can anyone recommend some good bluegrass discs? About the only bluegrass I'm aware of is Alison Krauss & Union Station, Flat & Scruggs, and some of these new bluegrass-type groups like Nickel Creek.

Do many bluegrass bands us electric bass or is that a taboo?

Learn me something.......

2. AKUS is the best grass band out there right now IMO. Nickel Creek is also very cool. Newgrass Revival is cool, older stuff though.

3. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well, Electrics aren't really Taboo, but they aren't common. I play an accoustic/electric bass guitar usually with my bands.

As for some good bands, it seems you have tapped into a good deal of the nu-grass stuff in this thread, so I'm going to highlight some more traditional bands.

IIIrd Tyme Out (7 time consecutive winners of IBMA's Vocal Group of the Year)
    Lonesome River Band (This is Dan Tyminski's old band before Union Station)
    Wildfire
    Charle Waller (Who died last year, but some of the best Bluegrass vocals I have ever heard)
    Ricky Skaggs and the Kentucky Thunder

With the exception of one, all of the forementioned are still around in some form or another.

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Bill Monroe

tk

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Del McCoury

brad cook

6. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I thought that was just assumed seeing that he for all intents and purposes made bluegrass bluegrass :p I mean, the genre got it's name from his band. ;)

7. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    Doc Watson
    Homer & Jethro
    The Smoky Mountain Boys
    The Osbourne Brothers
    The Country Gentlemen
    Acoustic Allstars

I was raised on bluegrass and "Cals Corral" every Saturday morning.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I reckon so...:)

I would even go back and listen to some Carter Family. I love it all. Some day gonna get the bull fiddle and go for it too.

tk

9. check out anything w/Roy Huskey Jr. playing bass. He was 1st call in Nashvegas for country and bluegrass for a long time.

Q: How many bluegrass bassists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: One. Five. One. Five.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Dillards?

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    To some die hard traditionalist an electric bass is taboo. There are some bands that use electrics and it sounds just fine. I have noticed more acoustic/electric basses around (even Doyle Lawson's band has one.) In some cases, the bassist just can't own/care/feed/transport a big ole upright (like me.)

12. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    What playing I do with a Fender Jazz solo front pup and some flats but it isn't the upright it calls for.

I also don't play just root 5 either some times the 3 will work too LOL

tk

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Check out Rollin' In The Hay and Fat Man Squeeze. Both are excellent bands that do a little more on the "new-grass" side. Especially Rollin In The Hay. I've done some REALLY fun gigs sitting in with Fat Man. More traditional-styled local favorites are the Dog River Boys. Rollin' and Fat Man both have .mp3 samples at thier sites. So far, DRB hasn't put any up.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

15. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    David Grisman

16. although not traditional bluegrass, if you have not heard the Edgar Meyer/Mark O'Connor/Yo-Yo Ma collaborations, you MUST listen. I have the one called Appalachian Waltz and it's fantastic...kinda a mix of classical and bluegrass (there's one track called Indecision, written by Edgar, that goes back and forth between classical and bluegrass/gutbucket styles...very cool).